Lifted TJ handling question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Lifted TJ handling question

I just got the lift on my tj, It is a 3" Rustys lift. I have noticed since I got it on that I have a little exageration in the handling. When I am driving in a straight line, it feels like it sways just enough fo me to have to correct it. I had it aligned and it had no effect.

I noticed that the sway bar links in the rear had a little larger holes than stock, and although the directions mentioned sleves in the stockers I could not locate any.

It does kinda feel like a sway bar picking up, and letting loose.

Anyone have any idea how to correct this??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 12:45 AM
Wrangler88

Re: Lifted TJ handling question

well first off, did u get track bar relocation brackets with the kit, it seems on smaller lifts like 2-3 inch kits, they give u a track bar relocation braket for the rear but not for the front. and from what i've read, if u don't get one for the front the axle coule be off the to one side an inch or so which could maybe lead to the jeep not driving straight.....??
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 01:09 AM

Drive my TJ and yours will all of a sudden feel like a sports car. I have no sway bars, leaky shocks, and a spool in the rear. I've nicked named it the magic carpet for a reason, driving it home from school with a 4.0 that barely ran, barely any exhaust, and i think my t-case in low was a trip.

Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

it had a bracket for the rear, but not the front. I was wondering about that also, seems like one would be kinka in a bind??

It just feels like it is walking around, let go of the steering wheel and it drives straight, it is like it has slop in the stering that is not felt at the wheel.

Ya andy, But I have to drive mine 18 miles to and from work EVERY day or I cannot pay for it... [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Oh to be able to skip school again [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 06:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have the same situation with my 01 TJ. I just installed a 4" Superlift, bracket for the rear, relocated the front mount hole, used all the sleeves, etc. I wouldn;t describe it as a "sway" though, just sometimes it goes left and other times it goes right. Let go of the steering wheel and it tracks straight... Could it be something to do with the tires? I put 35" Mickey Thompson MTX's on. Maybe the different tread pattern is causing the wandering?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I talked to Rusty's today and they advised to be sure that the caster was set right, I really do not know much about allignment so I called the shop that aligned it, and found out they forgot to check for that. The guy who did it is cool, and told me how to do it, or said he would do it free. Kinda nice to find a shop that stands behind their work. Rustys says with my 3" lift I should be at about 7 deg positive caster. I do not have a day when i can fool with it, so I am going to try to take it to them in the morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode