Off Roading Forums banner

manual or auto???

366 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
#1 ·
Who likes manual trannies here? or auto's Me personally ive had a lot of manuals in the past, i love the feel of the engines power at you tippytoes!!! But on the other hand i love the automatics foolproof gas and go. I found that with a manual the slack in ones driveline when the clutch is released catches up so fast and hard it can blow trannies transfer cases driveshafts ujoints and pinions rings and axles ...heck beads as well. But what if ....in a perfect world everything was tight, then the manual would rock and roll. But for now i think its auto, Ive had clutches slip when wet (samurai guys know what im saying...LOL) and clutch linkage break, but i also went through 3 tf727's on my first cj7 because of water getting past the seal, yup i did the drill the hole in the bellhousing breather trick. So i guess the decision is still out, anybody have any opinions to share???

#2 ·
1. Auto's.
2. Setup correctly:
a. Matched engine to the strength.
b. Correctly vent.
c. Correct Troque Converter stall speed.
d. Manual valvebody updates.
e. Valvebody conversion to pump ATF in park and neutral.
f. External cooler.
g. Increased ATF Pan size.
h. Regular ATF and Filter chages.
i. Regular Transmission/cooler flush.
3. Then I think the trail can be less destructive to an automatic.
4. The down side:
a. Poor compression braking.
b. Can't bump start very easily.

#3 ·
stick stick stick.

I prefer the control, expecially on ice snow (my curren troad conditions)
I like to decide when I shift, and not kick the rear end out and kick the rear out on icy patches.

#4 ·
1. Hey OzarkJeep, learned a little secret years ago.
2. When braking with an auto transmission...
3. Slip 'er into neutral.
4. It does wonders for helping to stop a vehicle!
5. I've never had a problem with front wheel drive vehciles on ice.
6. I've never had a problem with my 4WD SWB vehicles (Bronco II and CJ7) on ice.
7. But then I drive slower than my grandmother if there's even a hint of ice!

#5 ·
I drove my wifes Chevy Tahoe last night to go and retirve my Toy 4runner from teh airport.

the 4runner was much nicer on the ice, slippin ginto N or not, every time the Tahoe would down shift the rear would try and pass the front.

it isnt the only vehicle I base my opinion on, and IM fully aware you can modify/build an auto to work well on the ice.

I just love being in FULL control of the actual wheel speed.

I only owned a front wheeled drive car for a short time, I loved the car, but I dont think I ever drove it on ice.
IM sure they do well, but I like the ability to goto 4low and climb back out of the ditch if you over estimate the speed into an icy curve.

#7 ·
With my tires aired down to 10psi, I didn't have any problem slowing down when I let off the gas. I use the slip into neutral trick sometimes too. I'm ready for more snow, the roads are too clear now.

#9 ·
They did ok. The problem I had was trying to turn. Since my transfer case is still locked with that piece of fuel line from that field fix at Disney, I couldn't unlock the transfer case this time. This is the first time I wasn't able to drive around in the snow with the transfer case unlocked and now I know it's not the lockers that have the bad reputation on the ice/snow but the transfer case keeping the driveshafts locked together that makes you want to point a finger at the lockers. The snow/ice we had the first weekend on March, the Jeep went everywhere no problem. Just turn the wheel, give it a little blip of throttle and the front would pull it around the corner. With the transfer case locked, it just wants to go straight. Blip the throttle and the rear wants to slide out. Maybe I'll get a chance to fix it or swap it with the cherokee's transfer case before the next snow.

G
#10 ·
for street use i would want a manual in a jeep. for off road use the auto wins hands down. i used to be a tried and true manual fan but once i changed my trail rig over to an auto i'll never run anything else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.