How To Reverse Direction of Electric Motor? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2002, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

How To Reverse Direction of Electric Motor?

How do I do this? Or actually how did I do this and how do I switch it back? I've been trying to find a starter for the willys with no luck. So I took apart the old one, nothing burnt, but pretty rusty/corroded. I took it all apart, sanded down everything, put it back together, and it spins good now. But, I think it's spinning the wrong way because the gear won't spin out that turns the flywheel. I know it's not stuck, I can twist easily by hand and it comes out fine. So what did I do wrong on the reassembly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2002, 05:41 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Re: How To Reverse Direction of Electric Motor?

I doubt you unwittingly reversed thee motor. Generally, to reverse a DC motor, you either reverse the polarity of the fields or the armature but not both. Moving the position of the brushes several degrees with respect to the field coils would also do it.

I'm not familiar with your starter, but I'd doubt you could reverse the polarity of the fields without doing it intentionally. As far as rotating the brush holders, on the ones I've seen, the through bolts go between the fields coils and would be hard to move much.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Thanks Taz. I had the end of it turned 1/4 off, and I only knew this because there is mounting tab that supports the end of the starter so it didn't line up. I took it back apart and spun the end that 1/4 turn to line it back up. Now it works. Are the brushes the things that look like small brake pads on the inside of the case? Those are pretty worn, and the motor feels a little loose, but it turns the engine over fine. Should I replace those? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 06:06 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Anything for a fellow KC'er.

I'd have bet dollars against doughnut holes that you couldn't have done that. I almost didn't post that part I was so sure.

Small brake pads? I guess that would describe them. They are carbon and the things you have to pull back to go around the commutator (shinny copper looking thing).
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Hehe, if there's a wrong way to do it I'm bound to find out. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I noticed the mounting tab was off when I put it on the jeep, but I figured it was no big deal since it was just a little extra support. I'm glad that mounting tab is on there or I may have never put 2 & 2 together to realize what I did. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Now, if those are the brushes, which are copper on this starter, then thats not what I meant. I'm talking about the pieces that are on the inside wall of the case, screwed on from the outside, 4 of them with one big screw for each piece, with wires going to the brushes. They are worn, so you can wobble the center of the motor around a little. What are those things and are they replacable?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 07:59 PM
Official Curmudgeon

That's the poles, as long as it's just the iron that's scarred, it shouldn't be a big deal. You should have matching scars on the armature. If it's gotten into the copper windings, you'll need to have it rewound. At any rate, make sure you get all the iron filings out of it. I assume you found a bearing gone bad that caused this.

Since you've had no luck finding a starter, go over on Southwest Blvd., stop at Rosedale Barbecue and get a sandwich and fries. Then head maybe 3/4 mile further west looking for an automotive electrical shop on the opposite side of the Blvd, I think their name is Hunt. If they can/t help you try Allen Armature on 18th Street just south of Central Avenue. Both have been in business as long as I can remember. Allen rebuilt the starter on my '58 MG back in 1966. Hunt did my Jeep alternator in 1987 and it was still putting out power 8 years later when I swapped in the SBC. I've heard good things about Hick's at on Kansas Avenue in Armourdale, been around since I was a kid in the 50's, but don't remember any personal experiences with them. All of these are KCK, pay your sales tax over here, we need the money.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Thanks, I'll try them. O'reillys gave me the number to a place called megatorque, but they must be closed for the holidays cause I can't get an answer. And I guess since Chiefs stadium is bringing in all the kansas tax dollars I could put a few back on "that side". [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Actually I lived on the kansas side until I was 18, but taxes are a killer over there, as well as housing, not to mention I was offered a job with free rent [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. So I'll be here until I get to FL. I didn't know you'd been in KC for so long. You probably knew some of my family back in the day, since they all grew up here too, and i've been told there wasn't much around back in the '50s. Small world. Thanks again for the tips. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 06:20 PM
Official Curmudgeon

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
And I guess since Chiefs stadium is bringing in all the kansas tax dollars I could put a few back on "that side".

[/ QUOTE ]That's the Union Station bi-state tax and I and all those places I gave you are in Wyandotte Co. We don't do bi. The stadium tax hasn't come up for vote yet.

Born here in '47, spent 4 years in Florida in Uncle Sam's Boy Scout Camp and a year and a half in Sedalia. Been here the rest of my life.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 10:21 AM
M38

see if this starter will work

it's expensive but should bolt right in?
ebay Item # 1875608371

clint
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Re: see if this starter will work

Thanks M38. I'll have to think about that. My starter is working now, it's just for how long I don't know. That's actually cheaper than the others i've found online which were only 6v. One place was $175 plus core, another was $225 no core accepted. Hmmmmm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode