TJ factory Air compressor as OBA? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 07:40 PM
Wrangler88

TJ factory Air compressor as OBA?

i did a search but nothing came up, is it possible to use the factory TJ air compressor as an On board air system? i know it wouldn't be as good as a york, but is it possible? or would is the factory one not set up right for it? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 08:01 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: TJ factory Air compressor as OBA?

I have been looking into a 94 ZJ Compressor and ran across a few links here http://www.onboardair.com/ There are a couple of write ups about putting OBA on Tjs' that you might find usefull.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 08:09 PM
Keyboard Implanted

It can be done, and to almost the volume of air as a york, But it will eventualy fail, but then again so will everything. Make sure to put an oiler on the intake side, and a filter on the pressure side.

I am not at my computer or I would have links for you, but for now kilby has a link to obi ones (sp) page, and there is alot of good in fo there. if you end up needing a compressor let me know I have a rotery sitting in my garage, and access to a half dozen more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 08:37 PM
Keyboard Implanted

mm... I dont think this is where you should cut corners... kilby also offers a kit to mount a york along with your factory A/C.
dont think it will be cheap either way... by the time you install a tank, pressure switch, oiler, seperator, pop-off valve and run air lines, you're looking a t plenty of $$$ either way.
that said.. i have seen folks convert their stock A/C units and they do work ok... but before I'd do that, I'd look seriously at the electric compressors
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 09:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I used a york compressor on a 76 cherokee for about 3 years...took an air tank from a school bus air brake system....(at local parts yard)..went to the local herdware and got a differental switch and hooked it to a toggle switch on the dash....(about $20.00)had enough to run air ratchet..impact and air up tires...mounted tank under hood on fender well...used the pressure switch to turn clutch on and off..could set to keep 125 psi...as long as compressor is on its side...will keep oil in . If you mount vertical...pumps oil out of crankcase.......you will want to put some kind of filter on the intake line...just to keep air clean, and so not to suck any debris in the compressor....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode