CJ - I think I broke my Detroit Locker (AMC20) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

CJ - I think I broke my Detroit Locker (AMC20)

Iím getting ready to pull the Detroit locker out of my AMC 20 to install it in my AMC 20HD. So today I pulled it in the garage and put the rear on jack stands and as I walked by I spun the right tire. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I thought that was strange because the tranny was in park. So I rotated the wheel backwards and it stopped like it always did. I went to the other side and the tire stops in both directions, the back to the right side and the wheel moves freely backwards. OK Iíve only had two beers so far today so thatís out of the question. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] So side-to-side I go trying to rotate the tires and hereís what happens.

With the left tire rotated forward tell it stops, the right tire moves freely in reverse.
With the left tire rotated backwards tell it stops, the right tire moves freely forward.
I did get the left to move freely once and now it wonít do it again.
The only sound I hear is a light tick as itís rotating.

So I think I will be having the privilege of learning how to rebuild my locker. Anyone have any info on rebuilding Detroit lockers [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 07:47 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: CJ - I think I broke my Detroit Locker (AMC20)

Well the good news is that they have a lifetime warranty (though sometimes a pain to get replaced). I doubt that your locker is broke they sometimes won't engage at low speeds. Usually if you spin it good it will stop after a turn or two. I would pull the cover off and see if any chunckage is present. Then I would go out side and floor it in first in 2wd in some grass see if it tears up the grass under both wheels. It might just be worn and not engaging under very slow speeds.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 08:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had a detroit in my 20 and cleaned the all the teeth off the engagement cogs in the locker. Did pretty much what yours does as far as wheel rotation the only other thing mine did was you could put the transmission in park and push the jeep and eventualy get it to move 3 or 4 feet by jumping teeth in the detroit. Called them up for my "life-time warranty" and he told me they would not help me because I drove it on the street and had 33 inch tires. No luck with them after alot of arguing with the warranty people then after about an hour they sent me to the repair department and told me that I could send it to them to have rebuild and pay for what I broke. All that to say I never will buy another detroit or any Tractec product again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 11:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Detroit's Do NOT have a lifetime warranty, it is one year, says so in my Detroit Locker owners manual. It also has dissassembly and service instructions. If you want the disassembly info email me and I'll scan them for you.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2002, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

I think I'll be able to pull the cover on thursday and look for any carnage.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2002, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

How long did it take them to rebuild it. I was thinking of just doing it myself to save time.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2002, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

I just installed a new detroit in my waggy front 44 and I'm wondering if instruction are the same. I'll take a look after all the wraping paper is done flying in the morning.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 03:23 PM
Official Historian

If you take a look at an exploded view of a detroit and figure out how it works, you'll find that what yours is doing is perfectly normal. The detroit allows the axle to spin FASTER than the carrier (freewheel) for turning corners. BUT it will NOT allow the axle to spin SLOWER than the carrier.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

OK, I still may do an exploritory surgery on it just to make sure everything is good to go.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 09:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

a detroit will do as yours is doing. perfectly normal. it still would not hurt to investigate because it will happen if it is broken too. if you did not notice it when the jeep was mobile then i doubt there is a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode