NP435 fitament issues (skidplate) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 06:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

NP435 fitament issues (skidplate)

Hey guys, I just installed my NP435 in my 86 CJ-7 today (bolted to a 302), and noticed that it is A LOT bigger than the stock T5. It hangs lower, and with the Dana 300 clocked slightly, they both hang almost the same distance down. Has anyone been able to retain their stock skidplate after installing an NP435 tranny? If so, I am curious how, since I really don't want to fab up a new skidplate [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Thanks for any input!

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 08:07 PM
JMZ
Journeyman

Re: NP435 fitament issues (skidplate)

I did . I notched it out . Ran it like that for a long time with the 258. I am still going to use it with my 350 but I think I am going to beef it up a little bit.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 08:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

sweet...thanks for letting me know it *IS* possible. I don't suppose you have a picture of the notch by chance? Where exactly did you notch it? The way mine sits right now, it looks like the tranny and the t-case are sitting almost the same height. The rear mount isn't tall enough to clear the tranny, so I'm thinking of putting in a spacer, and lifting the whole assembly as high as I can get it. Another possibility might be putting small spacers between the frame and the skidplate to lower it a bit for clearance. Hmmm...

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 09:01 PM

You have to cut a big chunk out to allow the bottom of the tranny to hang through.That is why I din't bother to clock the D300 they hang down about the same . You could if you want to fab up a small drop down section to protect the bottom of the trans, and weld it on .
Check your Skidplate close mine had several stress cracks in it and needed welding and stregnthening.I have acquired the steel to build a custom one ...now I just need time...
The problem with trying to move it up is that it is taller too, meaning it is hitting on top also, at least mine is.That is why I am going to install a 1 " body lift before fabrication a skidplate.
I am going to fabricate a square tubing skeleton with a detachable plate to service the tranny ,T case, Ujoints,etc.
The best thing I did was to put a site glass in the filler plug so I can check the fluid without pulling the plug and if it needs filling I just pull out a top shift cover bolt and put it in with a small funnel.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 06:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just wanted to follow this thread up with some pics of my skidplate fabrication. I took the advice of JMZ, and unhumen and notched the plate, and it fits like a champ.

Mike
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 08:44 PM

Here is a shot of my custom made skid.
Its not really that hard to fab a new skid, and it is much better than the stock version, both in support and protection.
The NP435 housing is made of cast iron. If you hit it hard with a rock, in the right spot, it can be split open like a mellon (I have the pics).
In any case here are some pics, to give you some ideas for a custom built skid.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 09:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wow, that is a nice rig! I love the skidplate! I am planning on fabbing something up eventually, but this swap has my pockets feeling quite light, so I am making due until I am blessed with more $$$. I am very impressed at how high you got the tranny! I couldn't get mine quite that high up without some serious cutting of the tranny hump on the body. Very nice work [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Mike
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 11:46 PM
Official Historian

It looks like I'm not the only one without an inspection plate on my bellhousing. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 03:24 PM

Thanks for the compliments.
The skid plate probably doesnt have $50 in materials in it.
If you can borrow a plasma cutter from a friend, then it is a pretty simple one day project. If you are good at cutting with a torch it would be very easy also. Its just a piece of 2"x2"x 1/4" angle iron at the cross member and side rails, then skinned with 1/4" plate. I have built them with 3/16" plate on more recent projects for friends, and it is plenty strong, and significantly lighter. The reason I can get the skid so flat is that I positioned my engine a bit farther forward (about 2"), and lower (about 2") than where AA or MORE mounts position the 5.0. This allows me to run the engine and drive train very flat, all the way to the rear. When I originaly swapped my 5.0 it was in the standard location, and my skid had to be 2" lower than now to handle the drive train as it angled down towards the rear.
By lowering and moving the engine forward, I acheived a very noticeable lower center of gravity, and better front to rear weight bias, and I also got to raise my belly clearance by 2".
It was the best improvement to my competition performance of any mod I have ever done to the rig.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 03:37 PM

Will,
My 5.0 came from a Licoln MarkVII with an automatic of course. The flimsy little inspection cover that came on it was more of pain than it was worth. Dirt, mud and rocks were always getting caught up inside of it and would make some very irritating noises. I removed it the 1st time I had to drop the tranny, and I have never missed it.
I thought about building a custom heavy duty version, but I dont have any probs without running one. I think it allows anything that does get in there to exit more easily, and it allows any water to drain right out after deep crossings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode