2002 TJ "swishing" noise from 4.0 UPDATED - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

2002 TJ \"swishing\" noise from 4.0 UPDATED

Okay,

I've got a 1200 mile journey to go on in two days and today my engine starts making a swishing noise from the engine. It is deffinatly rotational. It appears to go away when I blip the throttle, but there is in the background a subtle rotational noise, but not a swishing. This is a 2002 TJ with the 4.0L.

I checked the fluids and they are all in spect. The power steering fluid was low (at add), so I added some to it, but the noise is still there. It also seems to come and go. Any help?

Fritz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 06:04 PM

Re: 2002 TJ \"swishing\" noise from 4.0

Is it an air swishing or liquid swishing? I have a sound from time to time that sounds like a turbo spooling up, but it goes away after a few seconds. It's never caused a problem so I haven't really investigated.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 06:28 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Do you have a stock air intake? If not you could be hearing the throttle body whistle. Since you said that this disappears with a blip of the throttle ...it came to mind.

Try "blipping" less radically and see if you can "tune" the swish to some controlable action (as in "if I twitch my foot juuuust right ..I can play "dualing banjoes" [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] J/K!).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Well, I can tune it after all, only make it louder by "lugging" the engine, making the rpms drop. It has a very metallic sound to it.

After I got home, I let it cool and then let it idle. The sound starts out quiet, then grows to become a high pitched scrapeing metallic sound, kinda like if you held a scredriver to a spinning flywheel. Once it reaches the point where I was backing away for fear something was about to come out of the engine, it stopped. It was quiet for a while, then it came back only remained subdued at which point I shut it down.

I called the dealer and they can't see me until Thursday, so leaving for the in-laws in WV is out. It hurts to be the only member of the family with a new car and can't visit because it failed. At least it should be warrantied.

Any other ideas? It is deffinately not a vacuumm or intake noise. It has a very metallic rotational sound that changes with rpms.

Fritz
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 09:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Loosen the idler pulley and see if it effects the "event". ...or even remove the belt and start it up and see if it still occurs. This is something with a varied load/imbalance/??? so this should effect the event if it has anything with the rotating masses in the front of the engine. Naturally you can't do this for long and it will probably upset your computer temporarily.

Simlar noises (guessing) ...loose flexplate bolts (requires an automatic and sounds somewhat like a rattling weather cap on a large diesel) ..but that would not vary much except when you put it in gear ..where it typically stops.

Please post what you eventually find out. I'm sorry that you're going through this [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] ...but I love these puzzles [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I love puzzles too, just not when they're my only source of transport. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

I'm planning on taking it to the dealer Thursday and may play with it tomorrow night, though I don't want to give them any reason to question my warranty.

I'll let you know what happens.

Fritz
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 10:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I would spend some time looking for little things like front engine covers hitting a belt , or maybe the fan catching the shroud a bit . I've run into this a lot , seems like the flex in motor mounts, ect can cause some clearance problems . If the noise acts like a bearing or metallic , you can use a wooden stick or extension held to your ear to isolate the noise, just be very careful around moving parts , a 3/8" extension could do some serious damage to your skull . Hope this helps, sucks to have a new vehicle that's broken .
Sarge
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Well, the problem is repaired!

It was a faulty waterpump. The pump bearing was failing (at 16,000 miles [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]), so they fixed under warranty.

Some of you may remember my on-going battle with the rattling transmission. I've been into the dealer about it four times. The 1st time, they said I was imagining it. The second, they heard it and dismissed it as "normal". The third time, I made them ride with me until it warmed up and got loud. They replaced my through-out bearing. Didn't work. Now, they say that they have found a broken seal on the transmission and will be replacing it when the parts come in. So maybe they'll have it fixed after all!

I sure do love having a warranty. The funny thing is that my family (in-laws and blood) were picking on me for noticing a different sound, even going so far as to call me a hypercondriac [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]. I was proven right. A broken water pump half way through a 1200 mile trip would have really stunk.

Later, gotta get going!
Fritz
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 03:23 PM

When I first read your post, two possibilities came to mind - A slipping/squeaking accessory belt, and . . . sorry, I don't know how to put it politely, but maybe your Jeep's . . well, you know . . . Gee-Ay-Wy. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

I'm glad you got to the bottom of it, and that the problem wasn't the latter. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 03:45 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Do you mean "happy" ??[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode