OT-What should I do? Willy's P/U - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

OT-What should I do? Willy\'s P/U

Okay, a lot of you are familar with the fact that my father was GIVEN a 1963 Willy's Pick up. Here's the kicker: He's decided that at 61 years old, he is getting too old to play with a toy he has to spend so much time on. He's currently looking for another Ford Explorer for my mom so he can take their '91 and put about a 4" lift on it to use for hunting. Okay fine. I've told him not to get rid of the Willy's while I think about it. I don't want to get the Willy's until I have my CJ where I want it (about 2 years before I feel it is 100%....remember I'm buying a plane this next year as well) He's agreed to hang onto it until I decide to get it from him. Should I bother? Here is a link to the rig so you can see how it looks:

The willy's!

The rig is in overall good shape. The interior would need to be done. It needs an engine. The floor of the bed needs replaced. It has a Dana 53 rearend. If I got it I figure I would need to:

1. change the steering (stock steering is screwy and won't accomodate most engine swaps)
2. put in a different engine
3. swap out both axles (for easier access to aftermarket parts)
4. Put on a lift
5. Different tires (a given, eh?)
6. Bodywork (another given)

I guess my question is: Is it worth the effort, or should I just make sure it gets a good home and do something different. It would be another vehicle when my wife and I each have our daily drivers and the Jeep. My wife wants a jeep for a "his and hers" thing she likes (probably a Wranger for her as it is more civilized than my CJ) But she wouldn't really want the pickup. She's not adverse to us having it, just she figures that with a pair of vehciles each (when she gets her jeep) it would merely be an extra with no real value. What do you all think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 12:56 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: OT-What should I do? Willy\'s P/U

1. Go on an adventure.
2. Drive it to Spokane!
3. Drop it in LEVE's driveway.
4. I'll take ya to dinner, then the airport.
5. You fly home knowing the WIlliy's found a good home. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 01:27 PM

keep it, if you ever get into the "crazy alaska wheeling" you might want to build it up for extreme wheeling. Look at some of the rigs the guys on the pirate borad that live in alaska have. I could see putting a healthy big block or diesle, nv4500, and 3/4 ton axles and making it a tow rig but it would probably just be cheeper to buy a f250 for towing uses. What about giving your wife the cj and you building up the willys? What are your final plans for the cj?

I would try and convince your dad to re-think building up the exploder, ifs lifts can be a major pain unless he plans on a solid axle swap up front though i guess it could be a good trail rig with some work.

I know i like having projects and i like wheeling and i hate having my jeep down so i can't wheel it so why not get the cj into wheeling condition and slowly build up the willys the right way while you are wheeling your cj.

BarrelRoll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Leve--thanks for the offer! Unfortunately, it would have to be towed down, as the engine is in mucho pieces! hmmm....could be a fun trip though! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

jeeper99xj--I've started hanging with a few of the "extreme" boys around here. If I go that route, I'm going to set up a CJ7 or YJ (with CJ grill!). Putting a big block or diesel in the Willys would be tough--they have a TINY engine compartment. A SBC 383 though.....or Windsor block Ford [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] My wife doesn't want he CJ...it's not civilized enough for her: Manual steering, Manual brakes....etc. She enjoys riding in it, but doens't care to drive it much. That's why I'm think YJ for her in the future--more amenities. My CJ is quite wheelable now, just a few things I still want to do like a drum on the front, safari rack, and down the road front locker, power discs and power steering. The exploder lift would actually be quite easy for the 3-4" we are thinking about--there are a couple of nice aftermarket kits. Still and all I'd like to keep the Willys and play with it. Probably go with D44 front and rear and stuff 32 x 11.50s under it. Steering converions are the big pain in willy's pickups when you go V-8.....that and brakes. Just trying to decide if it's worth it, or if it shouuld go to another good home! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2002, 08:40 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Well, the pic wouldn't come up.

At 61 he think's he's too old? I know of a 96 year old that still rocks at raquetball.

The pics wouldn't load for me, but I just got this for my dad, who is also 61, and he's going to restore it this spring. It's a '52 Willys Wagon.

I have some pics around of a Willys Truck an older guy completed. It has a Scout 392, auto, and D60 rear with D44 front. Looks sweet and was a cheap buildup.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

I just talked with him again last night, and it looks like he is going to do something with it afterall. I was hoping he would come to that conclusion!

At 61 he doesn't feel he's "old" just that he is slowing down a lot. He's also worked harder than any man I've ever met. Heck he's shop foreman at the construction company he works for, and regularly runs the younger (20-35 year old) mechanics into the ground. Whenever I see him the old phrase "rode hard and put away wet" comes to mind [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Personally, if he would ever learn to take it easy rather than working even when he's off it would help! If he's not at work or working on one of his own rigs, he's building custom rifles......or pestering me by coming over and working on something of mine! (well, not anymore, just moved 200 miles away). I guess I would have to classify him as a workaholic!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 08:28 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I hear you, my dad is the same way, worst thing that every happened to him was retirement, he has way too much time and doesn't seem as happy. We set him up with the internet after his heart attack, and he's on it a lot (on this BBS as well), but he's kinda stir crazy at times. Hopefully he'll put some time into this and make it look decent, it's in wicked good shape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode