CJ P.S. pittman arm questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 10:41 PM
DirtyDave

CJ P.S. pittman arm questions

Well, I have searched for several hours but have not found
this one. I have a 77 CJ-7 with an 85 frame. My axles are from an 81 CJ-5. I got a power steering box and bracket from a 75 CJ-5. The CJ-5 had axles from a 76-79 CJ (AMC 20 rear,Dana 30 front with thick rotors)
The p.s. and brackets bolted to the frame without modification. The problem is there doesnt seem to be enough swing to turn the wheels to the stops in both directions.I adjusted the drag link to even things out but now it wont turn to the stop on either side! Also the pittman arm has a bend,maybe 30 degrees. Shouldn't it be straight? The drag link is paralell with the tie rod but the bend in the pittman arm bend looks like it was done with the help of a torch.
The whole thing just does not seem right. Any ideas?
I'm not sure I want to drive it like this.
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 10:53 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: CJ P.S. pittman arm questions

It sounds like you have a drop pitman arm. Its used in vehicles that have enough lift to create steering issues. So to correct those issues a drop pitman arm is put in to correct the geometry of the steering. A drop pitman arm would be S shaped. Maybe the PO of your Jeep decided he didn't want to buy a new one and just torched the old one into the shape he wanted. IF this is the case then you should replace it. When the metal is heated and bent it is weakened. You can buy drop arms through most Jeep catalogs, but they aren't cheap. As for you not being able to hit the steering stops I can't help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode