crate motors -who's gone that route? i have to.. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

crate motors -who\'s gone that route? i have to..

doing 60 or so down the LIE, this clunking emitted from below my floor. I happened to have the tranny hump cover off and a boat Black smoke filed the cab. loss of power happend by itself. i sher 'er down and pulled over immediately. that was 4 months ago. my 304 is from 1979, the 302 i had before that was almost as old..Im done with used. Who have you used to get a motor? was it an off the shelf crate motor/ built specific? Motor type? what are your HP & FTlb torque? Are you satisfied? Any complaints? Would you go Back to the place again? I am looking for 1 of the following crate motors: either Carb to pan or maybe even FI if i can swing it.
1) 401 AMC
2) chevy- 383FI
3) 360-AMC
4) Custom I6
5) Chevy 350
6)Sounds like everyone's list doesn't it. These are my final choices. I was orginally looking into GmGoodrench and Golen's Engine Service. THats about it. thanks for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 06:51 PM
TNJeeper

Re: crate motors -who\'s gone that route? i have to..

I got my Goodwrench 350 from Scoggins-Dickey in TX by mail-order. They had the best prices at the time (approx $1100), even when considering shipping charges. Bought it about 3-4 yrs ago, and have been very happy with the engine and Scoggin-Dickey. It is the 1969-85 truck replacement engine (LM1) part number 10067353. Factory rated at 249 hp and 304 ft lb of torque. This engine in a CJ provides the perfect amount of power. Much more would be a bit scary, in my opinion, especially with a 'glass body like mine.

Don't count on a crate engine automatically coming with a great warranty. When I bought mine, they asked me what type of vehicle it was going in, and when I told them a jeep, the salesman told me that the warranty would be void, since it was not a factory installed setup. He did say that if I had any problems, to let him know and he would make things right. Never had to call him back for any reason though.

Replacing the 258 in my CJ was alot of work. I did do a frame off/body/transmission swap and pretty much re-worked or replaced everything on the jeep. Still not completely done, as I'm battling an overheating problem right now, and haven't driven the CJ in a couple of days. But it's been a great experience (4 plus years) and alot of fun!

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Greg
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 09:06 PM

That's a real bummer! Three years ago, I took the 360 AMC out of my GW. I took the long block to a local machine shop for a complete overhaul, including new cam and new valve springs. I figured that a local pro would do a good job with my original engine and parts. Then it turned out that I had a cracked head and had to pay extra for two used heads which had different casting numbers than my old heads but appeated identical in all other respects. It turned out to be a nightmare! After I got the "new" engine running, it was leaking coolant from the head gasket. The guy who rebuilt it put the original good head on and found another used head with identical casting numbers. After the engine was back together again, it delevloped piston slap on the #1 and #2 cylinders within the first 60 miles, my guess was due to a clogged oil passage. Out came the engine again... The rebuilder and I ended up splitting the second rebuild because we couldn't agree on the cause. It finally runs well now but what a PITA. When it was all said and done, I had spent alsmost the same money as a new crate motor would have cost me. I swore that my next engine would a brand new crate engine with a generous warranty. I would personally stay away from mass-rebuilt engines as they reuse all old parts except for bearings and quality control may be less than good. What good is a 12/12,000 warranty if you have to take the engine out several times to exchange it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 09:41 PM

Like they say you pays your dime and takes your chances. Unless you have the knowhow to do it yourself...then again you neeed to rely on a machinist and the manufacturer of the replacement parts.
I went with a Pep Boys Reman.out of desperation and had to put new rod bearings in it within 13,000mi ...the guy who recommended them to me is happy with his choice,so you never know....
I built a leakdown tester to test my Toyota engine and may do the jeep as well to check the condition of the top end...If I have to I will buy a reman JC witney crank with matching mains and rod bearings.and drop it in ,since I think the crank is not right...
good luck to ya which ever rout you take
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 10:12 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Locals around here tell me that Grooms Engines is good. They want a pretty bit for a reman 304, so I don't know.

Fritz
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 11:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi

I am about to do a 350 crate swap my self not knowing where I am going to purchase it yet. But I want a 350. What type of over heating problems do you have with a 350 in a CJ? do you have manual or auto tranny? what type t_case do you have? I just want to get some tips and some awareness before actually getting the swap done. THANX. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 02:48 PM
TNJeeper

My setup is a 350 with a NV4500 transmission and the stock Dana 300 transfer case. I'm running a Weiand water pump; mepco 3 row heavy duty rad; and a Flex-A-Lite dual electric fan that is rated at 2500 cfm.

Originally I didn't have any problems keeping the temp at 210, yet the CJ was backfiring and bogging down. So I started adjusting the carb (edelbrock 600cfm) and messing with the timing. That's when I started having overheating problems when climbing hills or highway driving. It will idle at 210 all day long, but once I put a load on it, the temp starts to rise. I'm almost positive it's in the timing. Just haven't had a good opportunity to put some work into it lately. I think the carb is finally right (faulty accelerator pump ball) but I'm going to verify TDC and work on the timing issue soon.

Greg
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

The 302 i had was a rebuilt and it was great for the first two years, then i had all sorts of problems. enough to get rid of it.
I will definately have to suck it up and pay for a professional job for this one. I personally am tired of worrying about the possibility of it crapping out at the worst times. Golens seems to have a decent warranty as well as a reputation. i have some saving up to do, so it will be a little while.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 04:12 AM

My Dad is putting together a 37 Olds 2 door sedan right now and we have been looking for engine to put in it. We have decided to go with a Ram Jet 350. We will probably go with Scoggin Dickey when we actually buy it. When we get ready which should be shortly, we will price them out. The ram jet is a perfect motor to put in a CJ as it already ahs the FI and the computer is self-contained on the motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode