CJ Lift - Help I need some advice - kinda long - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Aprentice

CJ Lift - Help I need some advice - kinda long

The basic question: Is SOA with 7leaf rear springs and a 1" body lift too much lift for 33's? I just don't see myself going bigger than 33's but it seems that most people SOA are running 35's.

Warning - my rambling thoughts on the topic follow

I'm lucky if I will get out on three off-road trips this year and while it's not my only vehicle I do like to drive it as much as possible. I would like to clock my transfer case without cutting the floor hence the 1" body lift. I'm far from being an expert wheeler but I do like to fabricate which is why clocking and SOA w/highsteer appeal to me.
The other option I guess is to leave it and wheel with the 31's (but do the clocking for more ground clearance). It's the 31's w/3:54 gears (2.5" lift)that started the whole debate for me, they are BFG AT's so my initial though was if I'm going to change gears and buy new tires why not go to 33's. 4" springs are also a possibility but the ride will suffer. Money is a consideration: SOA will take me a year to slowly collect/make the parts and 4" springs/shocks will take a few months to save for. I see a mix of terrain here in Northern and Central Indiana (Badlands)but I would eventually like to go to Tellico.

What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Aprentice

Re: CJ Lift - Help I need some advice - kinda long

Thoughts anyone?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 08:50 AM

IMHO - Keep it simple.
Use the 2.5" lift you have. Get the 33s and lower gears (or maybe leave the 3.54s ????). Use your fabrication skills to cut fenders for clearance of the larger tires and finish the fender opening to look like a professional job. Clock the t/c. Raise the fuel tank too, while you are at it.

Now you have more ground clearnce from larger tires and raised belly (clocked t/c) but you still have stability because you didn't make a skyscraper out of it. You didn't break the bank and you can still drive it daily w/o long months of downtime to convert to SOA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 03:39 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I've got 2.5" springs, .5" shackles and 1" body lift on my CJ-7 and there is a TON of room for 33's. At full stuff with the sway bar disco'ed my 31's have more than a 'fist' worth of room all the way around. I doubt 33's with their 1" greater radius, would interfere, unless you go very wide (12.5's should fit.).
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Aprentice

Hey guys thanks for your input. I think that I am going to try the keep it simple approach to start. I'll try the 1" body lift with 33's and see how it goes.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode