O/T Dodge caravan question for leve - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

O/T Dodge caravan question for leve

ok, i'll start from the top. this is a 1989 dodge caravan 3.0 v6 (leve, remember when I had the computer problem? same van) a couple days ago, it started taking about 30 seconds of cranking before it would start, and then I would have to keep my foot on the gas to keep it running and it was acting like it was flooding out for about 20 seconds before it would idle by itself. Finally wednesday morning I went out to start it to go to work, and it wouldn't start. No problem, I caught a ride to work from my neighbor 2 doors down that works with me. Figured it would be a easy fix after work. So when I was done working, I started poking around under the hood, smelled a gas leak, thought to myself this is going to be to easy, gas leak, not enough pressure, causing the motor to not run right. no such luck!! I looked around, it did look like a rubber line was leaking, but upon closer inspection, the gas is leaking from the vacuum hose that goes to the map sensor!! I unplugged the hose, and gas just came gushing out for a long time. evidently, the intake is filling up with gas, but how and why? I turned the key on without cranking the engine, and none pumped out, but when I cranked it, it started pumping out the vacuum hose again. what gives?....I bit the bullet and bought a more dependable vehicle, but i would like to get this van running so I can sell it and make a little money back that I had to use for my "new" vehicle. sorry so long, this really has me stumped [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]....if any body has any ideas, I am open to suggestions...thanks, Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 12:38 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: O/T Dodge caravan question for leve

That's really strange. With that much fuel .......you would think that the engine would hydrolock. ...but then it would not be accumulating in the manifold. The only instance that comes to mind for this to be possilbe is if the valves were all closed (which I don't think that they can be). You don't see the fuel squirting until you crank because that triggers the injectors to pulse.

But I'd open the oil cap and look for cam action just to eliminate this possibility. For that matter just undo the two bolts that hold the valve cover on and you can see it real good. It would be highly unlikely that you lost both timing belts at the same time and I believe that the 3.0 is one that has piston/valve issues when the belts go (open valves making contact with the moving piston).

I'm uncertain of how the crank belt drive gear is fastened to the crank. If it shares a common key and keyway ...or shares the same gear (which would sorta make sense) .....then this could cause a simulated "both belt failure" ...but I would think that there would still be valves open regardless of what scenerio occured. The only thing that made me think of this is that I had a Chevette that routinely snapped the dowel pins that kept the crank gear in place. It got so I could do the job in under 1 1/2 hours. (over 2 hours factory time).

If LEVE doesn't have insight into this ..you may have luck if you can get "dorfs" to think about this for a while. He has probably run into this before.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 01:06 PM
Can't Get Enough

My guess is the fuel pressure regulators vacuum diaphram is ruptured. This will allow fuel from the rail to go directly into the manifold. It is easy to check, just pull the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator and see if any fuel comes out of the regulator's vacuum connection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 03:23 PM
Way Outta Control

1. The fuel pump runs all the time and circulates the unused gas back to the tank.
2. When the Caravan's not working determine if:
a. You've got spark.
b. You've got fuel.
c. You've got air.
3. There's still not enough to go on...
4. It does seem you've got plenty of fuel.
5. But not enough air... so you've got to go to WOT to get it to fire up.
6. My guess is that the MAP is bad.
7. I've had the same symptoms on my daughters 3.0L '91 and went through 3 new MAP sensors from NAPA.
8. I finally got a used one from a Junkyard...
9. It cured the problem.

My guess is the MAP sensor is causing the engine to demand more fuel, and the computer's more'n happy to deliver.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

dorfs....tell me if this is the fuel pressure regulator. a small canister with 1 vacuum line at the end of the fuel rail right below the map sensor? I think that is it. I just went out to the van, took the vacuum hose off and cycled the key(did not crank the engine) gas shot out of the vacuum line hose. this is not normal is it? this vacuum line also connects to the port that has the MAP sensor vacuum line on it, which would explain why there was gas at that vacuum hose. there is not supposed to be gas in the intake at all, is there? just air only, right? have u ever replaced the regulator on this engine before? looks like it might be kind of hard to get to, as the bolts look like they have to be removed from the back.

LEVE....I just replaced the MAP sensor about 2 months ago, and the van was running good until a couple of days ago. I know it could still be bad, but I am leaning towards the regulator right now.....thanks for the help so far............Ben
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

BTT
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 12:53 PM
Way Outta Control

If I remember correctly, start taking to bolts off the top of the intake manifold. The top will come off ( you may need to buy a set of gaskets) and this will open up the valley to the injectors and the fuel rail.

If this is the fuel regulator... I've learned something! [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Just sorry it has to be at your expnse and not mine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode