Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Need Advice on Axle Upgrades (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/147955-need-advice-axle-upgrades.html)

jeepgod 12-23-2002 08:48 PM

Re: Need Advice on Axle Upgrades

go to my site below.. and look under jeep info.. for some wagoneer information.. gear ratios and what not..

NCal 12-23-2002 11:58 PM

Thanks guys, I'm learning a lot here. Now, if this was your Jeep and you wanted to put D44's under it, which donor vehicle(s) would you choose, and what modifications would need to be done to an '81 Scrambler for everything to bolt up?
Nick

LEVE 12-24-2002 12:07 AM

Check your Email in about 15 minutes... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

NCal 12-24-2002 01:17 AM

Leve, got your e-mail. Thx, sent you 1 back.

Jeepgod, excellent site. Lots of great info in there (I'm still going through it). Time to start formulating a plan [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img].

Nick

lojones 12-25-2002 12:04 AM

I have ads on the JU and Pirate forums trying to sell my axles from the jeep i just bought. take a peak if you like. i think its a good deal.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...hreadid=102808

------pasted from ad-------
Dana 30 front axle with disk brakes, Milemarker hubs and an ARB air locker. 4.88 gear ratio

AMC 20 rear axle with a superior gear one piece axle kit and an ARB air locker. 4.88 gear ratio

They are around 53-54" or so WMS to WMS, hard to measure with the wheels on.

Buy them both for $1500 and i will throw in the ARB air compressor,wiring,switches. Can be delivered reasonable distance.
-----------------------------------

NCal 12-25-2002 02:49 AM

Thanks for the offer, Lonny. I really do want to go with a wider Axle. From what I've read, the '79 D30 is 51.5" and the M20 is 50" even. I'm looking in the 55-58" range and have a pretty good idea where to find them (donor-wise). Now I'm searching for info on what all needs to be altered on my Rig to make the wider Axles fit.

Thanks again.
Nick

BTW, I forwarded the link to your "Pirate Add" to someone I know who might be interested in what you have available. NC

lojones 12-25-2002 12:39 PM

basically why im selling them, i want wider axles too. im at 71" wide total and need to be 76" or so (any wider i wont fit between the trees) so i want axles in the 58-62" range then ill get new rims and use the offset to get the desired width.

jeepsr4ever 12-25-2002 01:04 PM

axle upgrades...whew! Lots of options, If you want wide, cj10's came with a 75" rear dana 70 with 4:88 and a powerlock, these axles had a 40,000 lb towing capacity, great for wide swaps, as far as the front goes i would put time into a scout front, the outer knuckles are different the caster and old jeep narrow track dana 44 front are only 1.5"s wider than a wide track front end, I have a set of dana 70's ill sell ya they are 4:88 with a power lock rear but the front is closed knuckle, looking for about $400 for these, Really you can swap any axle under your jeep, heck ive swapped top loaders and napco axle in jeep frames with success, remeber to consider spring width and purches, on frame and spring, Measure twice cut once. Dont be afraid to run 6 or 8 bolt rims, the more the bolts the heavier the tire you can run, ive had 44's with 5 on 5.5 and i ruined my rims from the lugs loosening up. good luck brother,,,, GO GO JEEP

NCal 12-27-2002 12:21 AM

75" wide? Nonononono. I'm looking for 55-58", 59" max. Dana44, preferably.
I've only been looking at this for about a week, but it looks like... Fronts: 74-79 Waggy or Cherokee,
any Scout or ScoutII '67 thru '80. Rears: '80-'83 Waggy,'84-91 Cherokees, and again any Scout or ScoutII
'67 thru '80. That gets me D44s w/<59" widths, but I still need these Q's answered:

Q: Can I use my springs/shocks, brake lines, drive shafts, etc..
Q: What needs to be done with the steering setup
Q: Do I need to change spring perch locations

I use my Jeep on the highway so I don't want to create a Frankenstein monster.

Does anybody know of any sites that show a step by step for installing D44's in a narrow CJ?

Nick

PS: One more thing, Why am I a stranger and not a newbie?

Skellator 12-27-2002 01:09 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
PS: One more thing, Why am I a stranger and not a newbie?

[/ QUOTE ]
We're a family here, not a gang. (At least that's how I feel) [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]