Waggy CV front driveshaft for CJ-7 rear driveshaft - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Waggy CV front driveshaft for CJ-7 rear driveshaft

Does anyone have any thoughts on cutting down a Waggy CV front driveshaft to use in the rear of a CJ-7?

I'm going SOA with Waggy D44's and I figure I will probably need a CV in the rear. The Waggy front driveshaft (from a QT) is skinny compared to the rear, but the slip joint size looks about the same as the rear (maybe a tad smaller). What is the torsional weak point in the driveshaft: Ujoints, tube, or slip joint? Would it bend easier than the larger tube shafts?

Will it be strong enough for 304/TH400/QT/4.56 D44's and 35" tires? Will the auto and full time case be more forgiving on the rear shaft?

I'd rather not mess with it if it won't last, but I have one and would use it if it will work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 09:02 AM
Official Historian

Re: Waggy CV front driveshaft for CJ-7 rear driveshaft

If it is the 1-1/4" tube like the CJ QT uses in the front, I wouldn't do it. I had a new driveshaft made up 2 years ago. After a few trips, I noticed it was wobbling a little (transfer case and hubs unlocked so just the front shaft spun). I thought I had smacked it on a rock or something. I dropped it back off at the shop that built it to straighten it for me. He told me it wasn't bent from hitting something, it twisted. (check my profile for my jeep's equipment).
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

It is the same diameter as my CJ QT shaft. 1 1/4" sounds right. I assume the tube wall is thicker to compensate for the smaller diamter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 04:31 PM
Official Historian

It should be 1/4" wall tubing. I don't know if the front being so long made it twist easier but I still would use 2" minimum in the rear.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 07:46 PM
Addict

Re: Waggy CV front driveshaft for CJ-7 rear drives

just a thought, my 1988 ford ranger has a 2" cv front driveshaft that is a couple inches longer than my stock 85 cj7 rear driveshaft. you might want to try junkyards to find one like this. (i havent measured it's length but can if you like)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 11:11 PM
Veteran

I dont know the specs on the shaft but I am locked with a v8 and I used that shaft. Have had no problems so far with driveshafts, have broke axle shafts though. Mike
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 11:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i used a mid 80s chevy front cv drive shaft for a manual and a np208 for my rear. these are pretty strong and are fairly common to find in the right length.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 08:21 AM

I used a front drive shaft from an 88 Jeep Cherokee. It's the same size as a stock rear CJ shaft. I had it cut down of course but it works great behind my t18. Just pick up a quadratrac front output yoke because you'll need to use that on the rear of the CJ .

Alec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode