cj6 questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 11:12 AM
wijeeper17

cj6 questions

hey, i recently came upon a cj6 that i couldent pass up on.
the engine and transmission were shot but the frame was in good shape....and it was free so i took it. the body is in definate need of some help or a replacement. i am looking to give it a lift and put in a v8 of some sort. i have been working on jeeps for a while but have never done an engine swap. has anyone else done this type of swap into a cj6. it originally had a 4cyl/t90/dana 18 it has the dana 25 front end and the 44 rear. any help would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 11:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: cj6 questions

Since the CJ-6 is essentially a stretched CJ-5 I'd suggest following the "Swap Rules" for a CJ-5 with similar trany and T-case from the same year.
If you've done other swaps this one souldn't be to difficult.

I heard somewhere;

"Real JEEPs are built, not bought"

Get to it man!!!!

My 2˘;

Put a Dana 44 in front, get a T-18 with a Dana 300 T-case. Engine of your choice so long as it has Fuel Injection and is a V-8.

Good Luck, have fun!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 05:28 PM
wijeeper17

thanks for the input. about the 44 front. we have an international truck with a 44 front, 60 rear and a np205 transfer case. the transmision is shot. is there any way that i could install that drivetrain, minus the engine and transmission, on the cj6 or would it be more work than its worth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 04:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

That would be Wicked Ass, Do it, run a 350 in front of it all then lift it 5" , cut some fenders then run 37s on it!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 09:12 AM

You'd better strap or box that frame if you intend on putting in a strong V-8 and big tires ... or you might just break it in half ...
A GM 4.3L V-6 would be a good motor choice, especially if yours is one of the earlier short nose versions.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 10:43 AM
brendan

Don't jump to convert the thing to a v8. I'd look at the buick v6, either the 225 or the 231. The 225 has a heavy flywheel and is a good off road engine. A friend has a 67 cj5, and the 225 makes plenty of power. You can also get them cheap if you look carefully. You could find a tranny that will bolt to the dana 18. The dana 18 is plenty strong enough for these engines, and they won't require frame beefing. The gear splitting with the overdrive in the 18(if you have it) is pretty cool. It also makes a 3 spd like a 4spd if you shift 1L, 2L, 3L,3H.

Do replace the axles, though. Tires of any size will put a hurt on the old relics, eventually.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 06:24 PM
wijeeper17

would a 304 be too much for the frame to take. i thought that i read that the cj6 came with a 304 as an option so i shouldent have to do any modification to mount it on the frame aside from new mounts.Is this correct? How difficult is it to run a fuel injection computer in a jeep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode