Rewiring cj2a, please help. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Rewiring cj2a, please help.

I found out that the willys i bought has been switched over to 12v, and done very sloppily and not completely. The things I know that are changed over are the headlights/taillights, coil, starter relay, alternator, and starter, plus an added tach. None of the gauges are hooked up, but appear to be fairly new. There is an ammeter, temp, and oil gauge. I have a few problems and questions. The main problem is that it is draining the battery if left hooked up overnight (almost new battery). I'm guessing that means a short somewhere. I've found a diagram for the original wiring scheme, but it centers everything around the ammeter and it isn't even hooked up. Right now the starter relay is acting as the main junction. Also i'm not sure if all the gauges are 12v or 6v. Is there a way to tell? Is there a way to still use them if they are 6v?
I could also use some tips on what gauge wire to use for running the accessories/gauges and starter relay, distributor, those kinds of things. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 10:59 AM

Re: Rewiring questions on cj2a

The ammeter won't care about the voltage, but the rest of the gauges will. The only way I know to check them is by looking on the back of the case. There should be at least that much info there. If they are 6 Volt gauges, it is possible to use them by putting the proper value resistor in series with them, but finding out what that resistor should be is probably more effort than it's worth to get a morphodite gauge of unknown accuracy.

To sort out your drain, disconnect everything from the junction at the solenoid. Then, one at a time, connect each wire back to the solenoid through an ammeter. Any wire that gives a reading on the ammeter will be drawing juice from the battery. You'll have to track down the source of the drain on that wire.

You can also use a digital voltmeter in the same way, but that is VERY sensitive, and can give some reading off the tiniest draw. If it discharges the battery overnight, it's probably several amps, and should be easy to find.

As for wire size, it depends on the current draw. Maybe someone on the board has a chart. I have one but it's for house wiring, and not directly applicable.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Re: Rewiring questions on cj2a. Just got worse.

Okay, now i'm getting a little frustrated and confused. I took out all of the old wiring, hooked up just the necessities to make it run, starter, relay, and coil, still no start. It has maybe 3 gallons of gas in the tank, but no fuel coming out at carb. I added a gallon to the tank and a little in the carb, voila, runs great. What would make it not pump the last couple gallons? So while it's running I check the voltage to make sure it's charging the battery with 12v, only getting 6v out of the alternator. No wonder it wouldn't keep the battery charged. So how is it running? The starter looks like an original type, one wire, seperate relay, but 6v won't crank it.
I'm totally confused. How is the 6v alternator keeping enough juice through the coil, distributor, and plugs to keep it running? If all of them are still 6v parts, then how come 12v isn't frying them? All of the lighting has been switched to 12v, i'm positive on that one. Does it sound like someone put a 12v starter, coil, and relay in and the distributor is 6v but still works with 12v? Is this going to end up frying it if it is? Help please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Okay, the newest findings. The alternator is a gm 12v, so I replaced it. Battery still drains. I found that when I turn the switch on going to the coil, it immediately takes the battery down to 6-7v, but returns to 12v when turned off. If I jump start it, the battery slowly drains down, down, down, until dead. The alternator acts like it's not doing anything, but it's brand new. The wiring diagram I attached is all new wiring, and are the ONLY things wired up. So why is the coil draining the battery, even if the jeep isn't running? This is really irritating me, and getting more expensive by the minute. Grrrrrr.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 976589-willys_wiring.jpg (43.1 KB, 5 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Well, the charging problem is now fixed, thank goodness for a mechanic uncle my dad got me in touch with that i hadn't talked to for several years. He told me to switch to a one wire alternator and charge the battery fully before using it. Worked great, 14.5 volts when running, stopped getting the drain when powering the coil. So I drove it for a few minutes, still good voltage. I then started/stopped the motor a few times to be sure, and on the 3rd time, the starter quit turning. Still good voltage, and you can hear the relay click, but no cranking, and the wire going to the starter gets real hot. My uncle also told me there is no 12v starter available for the l-head motors, unless you have a 6v one rewound for 12v. So did I fry my starter? And how come the 6v battery wouldn't turn it over if it's a 6v starter? I really want to get this thing running right before the end of the weeked, but my uncle won't be around until late tonight. So any of you electrical gurus wanna tell me what I did? Or how to fix and prevent from happening again? I would be very grateful. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 04:12 PM

Well your guages should be 6 volt, most automotive guages are, they use a resistor to squeeze the voltage down to power them. You should not fry your 6 volt starter with 12 volts. a DC motor will spin accordingly to the power supplied to it. The starter will just turn faster with the added 6 volts. you may just have a bad starter. Or you may have a bad connection on the starter. This will cause a lot of resistance and heat the wiring up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode