Looking for advice - Purchase this Dana 60?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2002, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Looking for advice - Purchase this Dana 60??

Hello all,
I am looking to swap dana 60's into my 88 YJ as I build it up. I have come across a rear 60 from a 79 Ford 1 ton. I can purchase it for $100 + shipping. Unfortunately, the axle is in Maine, I'm in Indina, anf I figure that shipping will run $150 or so, based on a weight of 250 lbs. I have read stories of people buying 60's from their local yards for under $100, is this a common case. If so, this is not as good of a deal as I might expect.

BTW, it is a full-floater with 3.54 gears.

Thanks a bunch.

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 10:37 AM

Re: Looking for advice - Purchase this Dana 60??

Unless you have Forward Air at both ends, it will cost much more than that to ship.
Study up on doing 14 bolt rear axel instead.
Search for H8monday posts from last year and the illustrated build on his.
Then go to the Pirates4x4.com site and do a bunch of searches there in the General 4x4 section.
Some of the reasons people choose a 14 bolt are ...
Cheap and plentiful.
A Cab & Chassis dualie 14 bolt axel is about the right size without cutting it down.(62")
Detroit lockers for them are cheap.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 12:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OT

instead of a Dana 60 you could build a Ford 9" rear with 35 spline axles, just as buff as the 60 only less weight.
Oh and Cheap and plentiful!!!

my worthless 2˘
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 01:30 PM

The price for the 60 isn`t that bad, I paid $50 for mine. The problem for you is the shipping. That put`s it way out of line. What was said about 14 bolt`s is true, Lot`s of them and the detroit locker`s are cheap. I looked that direction also, But man that is one big, Heavy axel. My $.02 on them are this, Think twice about them if your staying with average size tire`s, ie; anything under 35". The punk`in on those guy`s are HUGE. They eat alot of ground clearance, especially if SUA. If you are SOA or going bigger than 35`s, I`d say go for it. I lost 3/4" when I swapped my rear D44 for the D60 I built. I`ll get it back when I get bigger tire`s this spring. Had I to do it over again though, I would give the Ford 9" a harder look. That`s a cheap and plentiful axel also, Very strong, And a much better choice from a ground claerance standpoint. Just my .02, Good luck on your project, Whichever way you go.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replys fellas. I think I'll be passing on the axle. I'll look into the 9" anf 14 bolt. I plan to go SOA, but right now, 35" tires sound fine to me. Perhaps once the lift is finished, I'll want to go larger.

Thanks again

Brian
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 04:09 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

And how about that GREAT pinion angle? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] J/K...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode