NV 3550 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2002, 01:44 PM
BigJ

NV 3550

It was either a Casull or a new tranny for the holiday so it looks like I will be looking into installing the NV3550 in late spring, early summer. I have never installed a transmission before. I have looked at the jeep tech pages on the 4500 and in some manuals. Supposedly the 3550 is easier than the 4500 on the install. Has anyone done one of these before? Anything big to look out for? I have 32's on it and am wondering if I will ever get 5th with this new trans. Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2002, 08:42 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: NV 3550

If you find that you won't be needing 5th gear, I've got an orginal Jeep low T18A that I'd trade you!

Fritz
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 07:54 AM
BigJ

I think that I am going to put the 3550 in. When I get it done if you want the old Peugeot you can have it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 11:34 AM

The 3550 is what they use in the newer TJs, correct? I know they use a "HD" version of it in the Rubicon. as long as you're geared correctly 5th gear should be useable. Oh, and if anyone actually WANTS that old tranny you're replacing, they're probably crazy [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 04:37 AM
sas87yj

i dumped the peugeot for a 3550. AA has parts for the swap. they want around $2000 for tranny and parts. try to find a used one- i got mine from a 2000TJ that did a auto swap.

the 3550 bell fit the 4.2 and i used the 4.2 flywheel, clutch and pressure plate. you will need to buy the AA t-case shifter linkage around $56. also need to run a new clutch line to adapt to the 3550 external slave. i used the TJ slave.

beware of the new pilot bushing- mine pressed in flush with the crank. i removed the old needle bearing and attempted to remove what i thought was a pressed in donut bushing- was part of the crank. the new bushing is an oilite material- self lubricating.

you will gain a 4.01:1 first gear VS the 3.39 in the peugeot. the other gears are the same ratio except reverse was lower in the peugeot.

now you will have that boat anchor you always wanted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode