Axle Swap Update - Now w/ PICS - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 11:51 PM
JeepSage77

Axle Swap Update - Now w/ PICS

This pic is the completed CJ (no brakes yet)

Ive got the '86 D44 rear with the 4" Superlift on and the 33x13.50 interco LTB's completely installed. All I've gotta say is DAMN! [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] It looks awesome. Now I've got the front end pulled out sitting on stands next to the donor D30. I've gotta get a couple bearings for the hubs tomorrow morning. The swap from drum 6 bolt hubs to the disk 5 bolt hasnt been too bad. I'm keeping the Warn 6 bolt lockouts, and I had no idea what parts I'd have to replace. Basically everything is the same from the hub inward except for the hub itself. All the bearings, nuts, washers, seals, spindles, etc are the same. I did have to use the lug studs from the '86 in the '77 hub. Nothing too tricky though. It looked pretty impressive having 4 complete housings laying in the garage. Of course the rest of the family thinks I'm nuts. But they can't deny that the Jeep looks bad a$$ now. If all goes well, I'll be driving on Sunday. And I'll post pics tomorrow - finally getting my hands on a digital camera.

I do have one question though...I bought 4WD Hardware's wide-trac shock mounts but they don't look right - the mounting bolt is perpendicular to the bottom mount, and it looks like it isn't vertically parallel with the bottom mount. So when I got looking at the axles I noticed that the narrow-trac lower shock mount is on the spring plate. The wide-trac mount is on the top of the axle tube. So essentially, by using the narrow-trac spring plate mount, I gain the extra throw of the taller shock mounts without screwing with the new mounts, right? It looked like the 82+ shocks needed to be longer, but it's actually about the same since they moved the lower mount. Am I missing something here?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 975685-MVC-009F.JPG (56.2 KB, 104 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2002, 03:25 PM
JeepSage77

Re: Axle Swap Update - Now w/ PICS

And a "before" pic. original springs and 31" Goodyear MT's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 976048-MVC-010F.jpg (23.1 KB, 69 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2002, 08:28 PM
Pooh-Bah

Nothing to add, just lightened it up so you can see it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 976220-jeep.jpg (69.2 KB, 7 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 06:54 AM
Keyboard Implanted

That Jeep looks great. Way to go! And I really like the way those tires look. Exellent call going with the 13.5s they really look sharp. That Jeep will turn some heads.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 07:09 AM

I talked to a 4x4 shop this weekend and they told me that the ltb's would fill up in mud real bad. I was realy thinking about getting a set of the 13.5's. Let us know how they work in the mud. I think the wider tire's look real good on your jeep.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 08:26 AM

Good looking CJ.

I also can attest to the LTB's. I run 34x10.5 , but down here in the red clay capitol they are excellent. I don't see where they could fill up with mud. It slings clay and with the deeper lugs than normal TSL's it cleans a hell of a lot fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode