Rear Disk Brake question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Rear Disk Brake question

Well the front 44 is nearly completed so Iím casting my sights on the AMC 20HD. I done searches and read all kinds of different things on rear disk brakes and Iím still not sure what I will need to finish.
I have the caddy rear caliper and the ford rotors but I confused about the rest.

1. Adjustable proportioning valve?
2. 2 lb residual valve?
3. Corvette Master Cylinder?
4. Just gut the proportioning valve?

Iím thinking that I should gut the valve or remove it completely, buy the adjustable proportioning valve and add the residual valve.

Iíve been mental fornicating this for way too long now. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2002, 07:09 AM

Re: Rear Disk Brake question

mentally fornicating? hehe

Your further along than I on the saem swap, ive got the rotors, and one old caliper for mock up and fitment purposes, None of the hydraulic parts done tho.

are you going power or non?

ive been riding the fence on that issue for a bit, Id like to be able to run non power assist so they always feel the same if I can get the stroke and other ratios right so it doesnt wear my leg out.

everything ive read points to either the corvette master or the Wilwood composite cylinders, they are available from 1" bore to slightly larger, ad according to the stock car mags ive got (speedway motors has alot of good hydraulic brake fittings and ratio info BTW) they say to use a 2 lb RPV in the rear line ( I think it said rear)

ive heard some folks never used anything but another master, some folks have hella problems and swap all sorts of stuff around, I sort think its one of those things where you just have to tinker with it to get it right.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2002, 07:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I used a set up like this;

1967 Corvette MC
Summit Proportioning Valve x1

The front MC res line goes into a "TEE" to split up the line into two, the tee runs into the front stock brake lines.
The rear MC res line goes into the Proportioning valve. which then runs to the stock rear brake line, that in turn goes into a "Tee" over the gas tank then finally to the rear disks.
After I got it all bled I was able to drive it normally without adjusting the Valve.
Now with my 36" tires I had to turn the rear brakes "Down" a bit to keep them from locking up before the fronts.

Yes you want to remove the stock porportioning valve, it will do nothing for you now.

Good luck!

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2002, 08:19 AM

If you gut the pvalve make sure to not run the fronts through it and use the tee as described. If you don't you will no longer have a split system and a leak anyplace will make you loose all your brakes.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2002, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Ozarkjeep. I already have the stock power brakes which makes things a lot easier. Do you have a link to Speedway Motors by chance. I do need some fittings.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2002, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

I thought I would need to change the M/C and I can see why the Tee is important.

Thanks for your input.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2002, 02:06 PM

here ya go , its a toughy!

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/

haha

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2002, 07:03 PM

Just an idea, Before you shell out all the money for the new brake system part`s, Just dump your old proportioning valve and leave the rest as is and try it out. My `72 CJ5 didn`t have a P-valve when I built my D-60 W/disc`s, and just the stock M/C without boost, Disc`s front also. My brake`s work fine with no lock-up problem`s at all. Just a thought, you might get lucky too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode