To Trim or To Bumpstop? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 01:19 PM
85Jeepny

To Trim or To Bumpstop?

This is the question, my Jeep's body is in great condition (minus the hood issue slamming into the winshield but lets not talk about that) I don't want to put TJ flares because I want to keep the round look.

The bumpstops on there are factory and the 33" MTR's like to get acquainted with the body upon flex. Before they make the decision for me I would like to hear some opinions. I know that the bumpstop will limit uptravel but will it really limit that much? What size of bumpstop would I use? And has anyone just slightly trimmed the rear part of the rearwell and reused the flares?

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 01:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: To Trim or To Bumpstop?

Are you SOA or doyou just have wrangler springs SUA?

I ask because If you are SOA use the dropped bumpstops available from Rancho and other companies.
If you are SUA I'd bust out the Sawzall.

I am currently SUA (not for long) and did some trimming, and hammering. Now I can fit 36" x 12.5" Swampers in there with little or minimal rubbing. I have the dropped bumpstops and have removed the fender flares. My center of gravity is very low and I can run large tires. My springs are Pro-Crap 4" lift with the lower leaf removed from each pack, making them more like a 2-3" lift.

After I go SOA I will still run the bumpstops though I doubt they are going to do anything for me but hey I could be wrong.

SO here's the breakdown.

If you like to keep you Jeep looking "Stock" (not chopped and bashed like mine) get the drop bump stops.

If you like the hammered look, get the sawzall out and start cutting. Thats best for performance though it doesn't look pretty.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 01:59 PM
Pooh-Bah

Before I cut out more to clear the 37's I had cut about 1.5" off the front and rear and reused the stock CJ flares (they move up from bottom of tub though) and had enough room for 35's at the time with bumpstops that were just tall enough to keep the spring from going into a real bad negative arch.
Here is how the mnior trimming & stock flares looked before they were totally removed and cut up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 02:56 PM
85Jeepny

I am running wrangler spring SUA. They are pretty flat though not all the way. The pic shows the setup with the 1" MORE body lift and 32" tires. They would stuff fine, the 33's are a no go. I'm thinking of going to a 2.5" just for the flex you get out of flatter springs. The wrangler springs flex incredibly well.

I should probably use the bumpstop so I don't go to bad into negative arch territory, right when it hits the fender and rubs, they are negative. I will try and get a pic of that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 975260-85CJ.jpg (23.8 KB, 15 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode