O/T Anyone else have luck this good. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

O/T Anyone else have luck this good.

Does this happen to other people also, or just me?
We wanted to get an already built Cherokee for Jeepwife for a daily driver/mild trail rig, and found one that was all built and in great condition. We looked at it Sunday, drove it, tested everything and it all worked so we bought it.
We were about and hour away from home and stopped at a gas station, then I got in the XJ and started playing with stuff. We started to leave and she yelled that it was still in part-time 4wd, but the t-case shifter was in 2wd, so we started trying to get it out of part-time to no avail. We tried all gear positions, speed & everything I could think of but wouldn't come out. We went slowly up and down a side road and tried (manual says it can shift at speed) and the t-case handle finally moved to the part-time location to match the dash indicator. When I went to shift back to 2wd there was a loud clunk followed by the sound of a t-case not quite in the right gear.
Upon looking I managed to break the trunion bolt off the t-case shift linkage and it was between gears, pull the linkage off, shifted it manually to 2wd and drove home to buy parts Monday morning.
Anyone else have luck this good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 05:41 PM

Re: O/T Anyone else have luck this good.

Oh yes I have. Went to look at an SS chevelle 4 sp and ended up buying it. Stopped at the gas station (sound like part of a story you know? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) and gor the tranny jammed up. Well I got it onlocked ony to have it happen a half dozen times on the way home. I bet I was in the ditch on my back in the rain as much as I was on the road. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I did make it home w/o killing the trans but I was pissed. And it you know old GM sticks.......... all that was wrong was the bushings in the shifter.
I was all but ready to rip the shifter out and grab rods. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] And I hate to admit it........but I have done that before. (late nite tranny swap that just didn't quite get finished and it was my only driver [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 06:12 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

The day I bought the CJ I started driving it home down the tollway and all of a sudden the engine dies. I was confused as hell, but pushed in the clutch...turned the key...and kept on driving. During the test drive the day before I had no problems, but the day I brought her home she died 6 times on the tollway. Thankfully I had my mom tailing me so that nobody would smash into me when she died.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 06:37 PM
Keyboard Implanted

no way.. not me.. Mr. Murphy doesnt come by my place.. and im even irish.. go figure that rat b....ard... JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

unfortunetly.. i know him on a first name basis..
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 07:32 PM

The day I bought my YJ I took it out for a spin and brought it home, parked it, then went to start it again and she wouldn't turn over. THe next day I went out to diagnose the problem and she worked. This happened on and off for the first month I had it. I tried replacing the starter, which just lead to me burning out my spare. I found after a while that instead of pushing it and bump-starting it every time I could jump the solenoid with a screwdriver. After a while I got tired of this (The Jeep looked real cool in the school parking lot every day with the top off until i reached under thehood to start it lol) And went to rewire the ignition (replaced everything else.) As I was tracing wires I noticed a splice in the ignition wire to the solenoid......I traced it through the firewall and under the dash to a shoddily-wired kill switch that served no real purpose other than to piss me off. I was hitting it with my leg every once in a while, turning it off and on. I thought it was real nice of the PO to clue me in on the switches existence [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode