looking into buying a used grand. questions.!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

looking into buying a used grand. questions.!!

i am looking to buy a grand cherokee in the near future for my wife..so i get her really nice wrangler!! anyway, i wanted to know if there are certain things with the grands to be on the lookout for,best engine 4.0 or 4.7? years to avoid?? We will be staying in the '00 and newer years. I already have too many vehicles in the 80's and 90's. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
the 4.0 in our '92wrangler is pretty peppy, how is it in the grand? thanks. Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 12:49 AM
ruinator

Re: looking into buying a used grand. questions.!!

The 4.0 IS NOT under powered in the grand cherokee. We bought my GF a ZJ with the 4.0 then we drove to California in it. It was great! Great milealage, good pep (but not to much [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])Plus the same engine as my my XJ (or your wrangler)VERY comfortible!!!

MIke
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 03:57 AM

I'd have to agree with Ruinator on the 4.0. My wife has a 93 Grand Cherokee with the 4.0 and loves it. Plenty of power and great gas mileage. And with proper maintenence, they last a long time. The 4.0 in my 93 YJ has over 200,000 miles and is still going strong. I don't know about the newer models, but the auto trannies in the older ones weren't the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 07:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You'd be looking at the WJ, since they started production in '99. Stay away from the '99s (as it sounds like you are) as the first model year had lots of problems. There were no significant changes between '99 and the current '03s, so you'd be good with any year.

The 4.0L has plenty of power and torque. It's not fancy and doesn't "perform" with zest like the 4.7, but it's enough to get the job done. I went for the 4.0L b/c it's a proven motor that'll last forever, and I don't hot rod it (it's a Jeep for Christ's sake, not a sports car!). The only time you may be unhappy is passing on the highway and long uphill grades on cruise control. You'll have the "hunting for gears syndrome" where it'll downshift, upshift, downshift, upshift...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 07:21 AM
Veteran

I have an '01 WJ - I absolutely love this vehicle. It has the 4.7L V8 - it has lots of power. There is only 1 MPG difference in the fuel economy between it & the 4.0 I6, but major power difference. In fact, I have a friend who has a '99 with the 4.0L and my MPG figures are better than his. I bought it with the V8 because I wanted to be able to tow a Jeep if I REALLY wanted to (we have a F250 also) and I think it would do the job OK. I towed a 8'x12' enclosed trailer with 3 big motorcycles on it & 3 people in the vehicle to FL & back in October & it did fine, had to take O/D off tho, but it didn't get hot at all & had plenty of power - just ate gas....

They came out with a 4.7L **HO** V8 in either '02 or '03 that is supposed to be even more powerful. My WJ gets going pretty well as it is.

The WJ's have more cargo room than the ZJ's ('98 and older) mainly because the spare tire is not hogging up room behind the seat.

Anyway, JU has a good Grand Cherokee forum - you may want to check that out.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, i was initially under the impression that the 4.0 was lacking because of the weight difference in the zj,and the yj. Im gonna test drive both versions too. i may stick with the 4.0. we have 150k on the wrangler and it still runs great.. Speed isn't my main interest anyway...thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode