Question on Wrangler sway bar links - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Question on Wrangler sway bar links

Ok, so I'm not a loyal Jeep owner , but I seriously wonder what they were thinking on these end links on the factory sway bars . I've replaced 8 sets so far in a shop, 3 of them were on Grand Cherokees , the other 5 on '97 Wranglers. Any recalls out there ? Also, are there any aftermarket ends that won't fail as bad as stock ones? I understand the use of a ball and socket joint for flex, but they won't stand being abused by Illinois roads at all . Any ideas?
Sarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Question on Wrangler sway bar links

btt
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2002, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Question on Wrangler sway bar links

You gotta be kidding , no one has an answer for this ? I'm sure I'm not the only wrench that has run into these breaking .
Sarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2002, 11:37 PM

Re: Question on Wrangler sway bar links - long

1. Just to clarify, which part of the end link is failing? The bushing, the metal link itself or that joint thing that connects the end link to the sway bar?

2. If it's the bushings - Replace them with poly bushings. Polyurethane will not rot and deteriorate like the stock rubber ones. When I replaced the end links on my YJ, the rubber bushings look almost welded to the studs. I was able to pry the bottom of the end link off the stud after heating it with a torch, then I had to drop the draglink, pull off the whole swaybar, then burn the top bushings out of the end link with a torch as well. Nasty smell.., do this outside.

3. If the metal link is breaking, one of mine did, broke right in half..., I'd go with an aftermarket end. JKS, Teraflex, Rubicon Express to name a few. I went with the JKS. They have greaseable poly bushings, and are twice as thick as the stockers. I've had mine for two years, and they are in great shape. I live on a very bumpy, rocky dirt road.., and they are still going strong.

4. If it is the little joint thing on the top.., I can't really help there. The YJ end links don't have those.

Hope this helps some.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 02:02 AM

Take the stupid things off.

mine broke about 6 months ago.. It was disconnected adn must have hit the axle shaft when I was driving through some river rock.

Damn thing snaped clean off at the weld joint.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

The part that is breaking is the ball joint that connects the sway bar to the axle . I've seen at least a dozen or so now , mostly on Grand Cherokees . It's almost funny, every time I see one in a parking lot , I take a quick look under it to see if the joint is in one peice . It's amazing how many I find broken. Had a nice gal last week catch me looking under hers, and I found the passenger side one broken . After a few strange comments from her , I pointed out what I was looking at . I explained this seemed to be a common problem, she acted as if I had something to do with it . I just laughed at her, told her to take it back to Jeep and make them fix it . Some folks just don't understand what a favor is. So, there are aftermarket ends for these ?

Sarge
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 02:38 PM
I Do This For The Glory

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
...told her to take it back to Jeep and make them fix it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Been there, done that. Mine let go on the trail, sounded like a U-joint exploding (glad is wasn't). They are NOT covered under the warranty, they're considered a "wearable part". Trust me, I went round and round with a few dealerships on this, as the stock ones were $119 back in '98.

I found some from Summit Off Road (now Rocky Road Outfitters, see the Zuki BBS) for $70, and they're 3 piece disconnects with a lifetime warranty. Not sure if they still make them or if they're still warranteed, but they're holding up well. Although in retrospect I'll just make my own from now on. I ran the TJ without it on the front for 6 months, but the body roll in the corners was too much for the winter driving up here.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks a bunch . I guess I should start stocking some new ends , seems to be only 3 types or so . With the roads in this area , I could make a killing selling parts . The number of Grands in this county alone would warrant it . All they really had to do was make the ends a little heavier , I've had two now that had less than 50k on them when they broke, usually the passenger side first . I'm waiting for someone to break one, then have an emergency braking situation in a corner , it could get ugly...
Sarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode