strange tranny noises - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 06:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

strange tranny noises

Greets,

My name is Jeremy and I'm a relative newbie in the offroad world as well as to jeeps. I've been lurking here for several months now and I'd just like to say that I've found this forum to be a great help in deciding to buy a jeep and to answer many questions I initially had.

Anyway, I bought a 2003 Rubicon [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] (shale green/khaki, with an auto) about 3 weeks ago. I've been breaking it in gently...I've put 450 miles on it and driven it in 4-Hi a couple times in the snow. Shortly thereafter, I noticed a mid-ranged whir or whining noise coming from the front when I drive over 20 mph, possibly in the transfer case or the front axle/diff. I've tried shifting it in and out of 4WD, etc. but the whirring sound is still there. I'm concerned that maybe the transfer case isn't shifting back to 2WD completely, or that something is out of whack in the front differential. My question is should I be worried and take it to the dealer for an inspection, or is there normally noise of this nature(other than tire rumble) coming from the drivetrain?

TIA,

JeepR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 06:33 PM

Re: strange tranny noises

Hey man, welcome aboard!

Id love to help. but I dont know squat about anything after 1980 hehe.

I would advise though, that you fill out your profile, and prepare to learn stuff and make freinds.

someone will help you with this noise, I just have no idea

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 05:23 AM

The Rubicon has the RockTrac t-case in it, which has a 4:1 gear reduction in it. Sometimes these can be a little noisy, which may be what you are hearing. But my wife's Grand Cherokee makes a similar sounding noise, at about the speeds you mentioned.., so it may just be normal. (it's bone stock) Either way.., if you are still worried.., it does have the warranty still. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 05:31 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Welcome to the board ! You can lean pretty much anything you need to here.
I would have to guess that a brand new Jeep with 450 miles on it should not have any problems with the Xcase. But after spending all that money on a new Jeep I would not hesatate to bring it to, or call a dealer about it. That is what warrenties are for.
There are a few people here who have the new rubs... They will be the best help to you... and I am sure that they will chime in.
Again, welcome to the board
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode