Waggy Power Brake Booster in CJ ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Waggy Power Brake Booster in CJ ?

To my surprise I couldn't find the answer to this in the search, maybe I wasn't holding my mouth right [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Anyway, I picked up a Waggy Brake booster and MC off a buddy. And it left me with two questions. One, it appears that the push rod seems longer than my Stock Manual MC Push rod, so should I:

1. cut down the rod and make it fit...
2. get/fab up a mounting bracket to set it off from the firewall in the engine bay.

And second, the MC is not the Stock or Stock Repplacement MC. Anyone have any idea what It's out of for my future reference?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 08:49 AM

Re: Waggy Power Brake Booster in CJ ?

I like the spacer idea if it's made of solid steel. Drill out some bar stock. Unless you know how to remove the rod from the brake booster to cut and weld it. The reason I say to remove it is that there are plastic parts that could be damaged by heat. Some guys cut and weld using vice grips as a heat sink, and are successfull. I'd rather not push my luck with brake. There is a way to disassemble the booster and get the rod out. I have one disassembled in the garage, but can't figure out what is retaining the rod. I had a custom Gm unit made up at a shop. Custom, in that they removed the rod and swapped it with one of the right length. He said it wasnt' comfortable with having that component cut and welded. I suppose a shop is concerned with liability. And I suppose so should I. Good luck with the project. The gm master cylinders from many common applications bolt right onto the jeep boosters, so that might be the souce?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 09:28 AM
Mud in my Veins

That MC looks like some of the late model GM stuff to me... but what do I know? Maybe "Rosie" (the Bounty chick) might know! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 10:01 AM

thats newer looking than ANY wag booster ive ever seen, even in the late 80s they still had cast resiviors, not plastic!

maybe it came from a 91? ive never seen one from that late.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 10:59 AM

I am thinking of doing the same thing. My 78 parts Waggy has a spacer between the dash and booster. I haven't tried to install it yet so I don't know if it works.

I am concerned about clearance to the hood. Will it fit?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 12:37 PM

Don't know what the manual brake rods are set up like, and maybe this is useless information, but on a CJ with power brakes, there is a bellcrank on the firewall that the pedal rod connects to, and that the power booster rod also connects to, but on a differnent point on the bellcrank's lever. I suppose this arrangement is to introduce leverage into the system. Just thought I would mention this, as I'm not sure how the master cylinder hooks up to the rod coming off the brake pedal, on manual brakes, and you will need something similar to complete your setup.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

So what we're all saying is... We're not sure how it's gonna work, but we're sure we can get it to work.... [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Cool, That's the way most of my projects start out, and after a few papertowels I generally get it working [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Thanks all, I'll let you know how it goes...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 01:13 PM
Official Historian

There was an article in JP (I think) a year or two ago about shortening the pushrod to use in a CJ. They just cut out a section, wrapped the remaining part of the rod sticking out of the booster with wet shop rags and welded the other end back on. They said to weld a little at a time and keep it from getting too warm.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Ya, Actually I just found it. talks about shortening a GM booster to match the CJ booster pushrod length. I guess I'll pull my MC out and compare. I just hate getting to that stupid pin way up under the dash [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

thanks
brent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode