Distributor venting - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 06:51 AM
RCJ7

Distributor venting

I am looking for a post that had info on venting the distributor cap on the Team Rush upgrade.
I am tring to find out what kind of nipple that was used on
the base of the distributor to vent it out.
Thanks,
RCJ7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 07:08 AM
Official Historian

Re: Distributor venting

The larger cap has a vent in the top of it. It has a rubber baffle on it. You can remove that and put a vacuum line on it to run somewhere else if you want.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 07:17 AM
RCJ7

I would do that but the problem is that all of the caps that I have found for the Team Rush upgrade has no vent
on the top of the cap. The cap is for a 258 motor.
I need to put some type of vent on there because I have been getting alot of oxidation inside the cap. And it doesn't like that.I have to clean the cap every 2 weeks. If I don't the motor dies and then I have to pop the hood and clean the rotor and then it starts right up. It's starting to be a pain in the butt when the motor shuts down in traffic.
RCJ7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 09:17 AM

I feel for ya about dieing in traffic if you go north on 35 I drive that everyday from the Faribault area going to school (35E to 494)

As far as your problem I doubt a vent will help [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] there should be one there already someplace.
What coil are you using? Have you tried and differant one?
Sounds like you might have a weak coil and they will do all kinds of strange things a good strong coil should blast through any amount of oxidation.

If you don't have a extra coil to try and don't want to waste money on buying one incase it isn't the problem let me know what your using and I may have one you can try. Always willing to help out a fellow Jeeper [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 10:02 AM
RCJ7

The one that I have is TFI coil from Wells(C839).
I guess I could try a different coil. But I was thinking that the oxidation was coming from having to hot of a spark from the coil. And then I was thinking that maybe there was a build up a gas inside the cap that is causing the oxidation on the rotor. Is there anybody else that is having this same problem. I know there was a post talking about drilling a small hole on the housing and running a hose to the air cleaner to burn any gas build up.
Before I did this upgrade I used the stock cap with a vent with no problems.
Anybody else want to give this a shot?
RCJ7
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 10:12 AM

oxidation inside the cap, do you mean like corrosion on the contact points? (tip of rotor) and the 6 post contacts?

are they brass?
or aluminum?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 10:21 AM
RCJ7

Yes, but it looks like normal corrosion.When I put on a new Cap and rotor that has the brass terminals, after about two weeks the jeep will die somewhere and when I pop the cap off, it looks like its been on there for 6 months. I have tried cheap caps and expensive ones with the same results.
So it sounds like maybe I need a higher voltage coil.I also use the stock motorcraft ignition box that is only two years old. Everything under the hood is new, and I mean everything......
RCJ7
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 10:43 AM

1 Check the vacuum advance diaphragm. If it leaks, it will suck combustion gasses into the distributor.

2 I think a vent is a good idea. I drilled and tapped an 1/8" pipe hole into the bottom of the distributor and screwed a nylon hose barb into it. Then I ran a small, clear vinyl tube out to a dry spot. When I put the Jeep back together I'm going to run all of the vents into a dry box high on the firewall.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 10:52 AM
RCJ7

I will check the vacuum advance, but I checked it before and it was good. Well if I can't figure this out I think I might switch to the HEI setup.
RCJ7
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 06:59 AM
RCJ7

Well I think I found out what my problem was. Last night when I was driving back home from the store my jeep died
going 65. It did this two years ago.After about 10 minutes of messing with it it started up. Well it's the motocraft ignition box that was bad. So I put a new one in and works great. I also put a new cap and rotor in. I drilled a small hole where the vent should be on the cap and made my own vent.So I hope this solves the problem.
But I still am look for a cap that you can buy with the vent on it.I haven't looked at the AC Delco brand yet, so thats my next mission.
Thanks for your reply's. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
RCJ7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode