87 yj 4.2 direct short....starter won't disengage - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

87 yj 4.2 direct short....starter won\'t disengage

Firstly I have kind of a jacked up ignition, such that I don't need a key to start it... I'm not sure if this type of key cylindrical behaviour inhibits a short in the ignition. I noticed it's very hard to tilt my tilt wheel up and down.....something binding maybe?.....

Next...When my starter wouldnt disengage and my battery went to zero in about five or six seconds with no smoking appliances or wires to notice, I as getting strange readings from my dig. multimeter when checking grounds from battery to various points of whatever. I decided to try something whacko and took out my battery and ran an alligator clip from the positive terminal to my fusible links one at a time. With a powered test probe, which detects negative or positive polarity, I narrowed down the fusible link that powers up two red (12-10 g) wires which in turn goes to fuse 3 and 8. stop haz. and dome...I think. I noticed that every point on the chassis was showing twelve volts until I unplugged the two forementioned fuses. Now I'm to the point where I've removed every piece of foreign electronics from the vehicle... Unplugged virtually everything but the computer...including the ignition switch wires from the switch. The chassis grounds out when the green fusible flink mentioned prior gets 12 volts. and disappears when I loosen the fusebox off the firewall....WTH! Is the tension of the fuseblock on the firewall shorting something inside....I don't see anything remarkable but I crap you not...I'm nearly certain my problem is coming from the fusebox when fasstened to the chassis.

Sorry for being so longwinded..but I hate to leave anything out that might be pertinent to ones genius. Anyone out there have this problem of grounding out around a fusebox?....Do I need a new one or am I crazy and the answer lies elsewhere? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]......I'm at wits end...HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode