Windshield removal - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 04:57 PM
dubboy

Windshield removal

I am going to have to remove the windshield from the frame of my 90 wrangler so I can paint it and I was wondering what was involved in doing that. If anyone that has ever done this could give me some pointers so that I dont destroy the glass it would help alot thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 11:01 PM
jeepfiend

Re: Windshield removal

you are planning on undertaking a rather delicate operation. I will admit that I have not removed a windshield without cracking it. I don't know if this is true with wranglers, but my CJ window gasket is a one piece unit that has a channel to hold the glass, and a channel to hold the windshield frame. To remove the window with the one piece gasket you have to push the gasket out of the opening in the windwhield frame. I have typically used dishwashing liquid as a lubricant to help in the removal of the window. To put the window back in, I typically wrap a rope (usually a 1/4" diameter nylon rope) around the channel that fits into the window frame, set the bottom edge of the window and gasket in place (it helps to have a friend or significant other hold the glass and gasket against the window frame at this point) slowly withdraw the rope. Pulling the rope out will pull the lip of the gasket over the windshield frame. To help the window seal, I like to use a little urethane adhesive inside the window channel, and also in the frame channel after the gasket and window are installed. One thing to look for, and I don't honestly know if it is even done anymore, is to look and see if your gasket has some type of lock bead or overlapping interlock that holds the glass in place. If this is the case, pull out the lock bead or other system and remove the window. When you replace the window you can put a little urethane in the channel on the frame side to hold it in place, and a little in the glass channel side, then place the gasket in the frame and then place the window in the gasket. There are specific tools to reinstall the lock bead or other type of system, but I have found that bicycle tire irons (the plastic kind of course) work quite well for installing lock beads. A little dish detergent on the bead also helps.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 03:06 AM
Official Historian

I believe the YJ is different. I think it is glued to the frame and then the rubber is just to cover the gap between the glass and the frame. I'm not sure how you cut the adhesive to remove the glass on a YJ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 04:34 AM

Is there a specific reason you have to remove the glass? I've always just masked off the glass and gasket with newspaper and sprayed away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode