Fire extinguishers - Page 3 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 02:20 PM

Re: Fire extinguishers

I saw some misinformation in the above threads and wanted to make sure that readers have clear and accurate information. The two most likely vehicle fires involve electrical (Class C) and flammable liquids (Class B). Class B fires also include plastics and rubber. As JoeyCJ55 has correctly pointed out, a multipurpose ABC extinguisher is a good choice as would be a BC extinguisher. The larger the extinguisher, the larger the fire it can extinguish. That is what the numbers before the letters mean on the extinguisher label. It is a tradoff between size and extinguishing capacity. The National Fire Protection Association recommends extinguishers in the 5 to 20 B:C range for small trucks.

I personnally have disposable 1A,10B:C extinguishers in my home and 5B:C extinguishers in each of my vehicles. The problem with refillable extinguishers is that they need to be serviced annually by a technician whereas the disposable types are maintenance-free other than an occasional shake and are cheap enough to replace every 5 years or so. For the annual service, look in the yellow pages under "Fire Protection". I would be very surprised if any fire departments serviced fire extingishers for the public. The powder in ABC extinguishers is the most corrosive and should be promptly and thorougly cleaned off after use.

If you can find a halon extinguisher, it would be very expensive, and no, halon is not toxic and you will not die if you are in a room when a halon system discharges. There are several halon-alternative gaseous agent extinguishers but they are very expensive and I have yet to see one on a shelf at a consumer store.

Inergen is used in total-flooding applications, such as computer rooms, and not in portable extinguishers. There is still nothing better than Halon, so, when cost is not an issue, you will find halon systems in applications such as race cars and airplane engines.

Dominique Dieken, P.E., CFPS
Jeeper (and Senior Fire Protection Engineer when I'm not in the Jeep)

1966 CJ5, Buick V6, Swampers, 1" susp lift, dual fuel pumps
1987 GW, 360, restored stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 03:34 PM
Old Hand

Halon is not toxic but will kill you very rapidly. It replaces the oxygen in your lungs.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 05:44 PM
Way Outta Control

Great info!

Since Halon is the best for our use, why isn't it available
like it was a few years ago? K-Mart, nearly everyone sold them.
I still have a couple of old ones left over.

Is it the greenies that stopped it?
What class is CO2?

Sometimes the powder type causes more damage than the fire
would have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 05:52 PM

Joey, ive bee away at college for a bit now too. This was the first time i checked the bbs in a few weeks, but i have to tell you that i had a little chuckle when i saw the post "fire safety by Joey..." hahaha God Bless and Merry Christmas, Tim
post #25 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 09:43 PM

Joey already answered this but good question anyway. Halon has not been produced in several years now because it has been linked to the ozone layer depletion. Recycled halon is still available commercially but at a rather high price. The last I heard was around $30 per pound. Halon gas is not toxic nor does it deplete the oxygen content, thus allowing it to be used in normally occupied areas such as computer rooms. This is why halon was such a widely used fire suppression agent until the Montreal Protocol identified it as an ozone layer depleting agent in the early 1990's and mandated reduced production and a total production phaseout by 1/1/2000. There are other halon substitues out there now, such as Inergen and FM-200, which have similar characteristics as halon but none of them are as effective as halon. Halon should not be confused with CO2, which does achieve fire extinguishment by depleting the oxygen content and as such is fatal at the required concentrations for fire extinguishment (34-75%).
post #26 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 02:13 PM

freshmen and soph i think, both from out side chicago.

BarrelRoll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode