SOA springs: CJ, YJ, or Waggy - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

SOA springs: CJ, YJ, or Waggy

I'm going SOA with Waggy full-width D44's with Hi-Steer.

I need some suggestions for which springs to use.

Previous posts indicate YJ springs are good, but wear out quickly.

What about 78 Waggy springs? I have a set that look like they are in good shape. Both my CJ7 and Waggy have 7 leafs. What's the different between Waggy F&R springs and rear CJ springs?

I can see the following scenarios:
1) Waggy F&R springs on the CJ
2) Waggy fronts on the front and CJ rears on the rear
3) Waggy rears on the front and CJ rears on the rear
4) CJ rears at all 4 corners

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 04:03 PM

Re: SOA springs: CJ, YJ, or Waggy

I recently converted to a SOA setup; I used late model waggy fronts (7 leaf packs) on all four corners. The waggy springs are longer, which caused a few problems. I was ditching a shackle reversal and so was able to position the new main spring hangers a little farther back than stock; I also had to push the shackle hangers out to the bumper to get a good shackle angle. These springs have a 2" offset in them; by turning them around I was able to push the front axle forward and gain some wheelbase. In the rear I just had to reposition the shackle hanger, drill new holes into the frame and fish nuts inside to bolt them down. I didn't flip around the rear ones because that would cause more clearance issues with the gas tank, and require cutting away more of the rear fenders.

Initial impressions were very good; the jeep flexed great. But, the springs were too soft; I had a lot of body roll on the street. So I added a cut down main leaf and a cut down third leaf into the packs. Much more stable on the street, and the flex is still there. My front end sits a touch too high now (in relation to the back), and I managed to bend both front main leaves on the last run, so it's back to the garage I go; I am going to remove the extra third leaf and try to rig up a "shackle bumpstop" on the front so it can't invert again.

SOA with custom spring configurations is definately worth the effort, but know that you are in for a lot of fabricating time and trial and error stuff before you will come up with a suspension you are happy with.

And I am not as yet running a wrap bar; in the few runs I have been on with this suspension I haven't noticed a problem yet.

Max

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 04:55 PM
Keyboard Implanted

if you use cj or yj springs.. use the rear ones.. at all four corners.. the fronts wont last a night in the driveway...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 04:59 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I have Waggy axles on my Scrambler. I used new JCWhitney CJ7 rear HD 7-leaf springs on all 4 corners. The springs are military wrapped and are well made. The springs fit perfect using the stock hanger locations. You have to move the front shackle hanger forward one bolt hole, but this isn't really an issue since you have to outboard the springs anyway. These springs flex well and haven't sagged yet. I ran a couple of times without a wrap bar, and I could feel the rear end winding up so I made a bar and installed it. No problems since. There are some pics on my site below.

Later,
Tom
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 09:16 PM
Journeyman

I am trying to figure out the same things, but I'm wanting to go with lift springs instead of stock springs. Anybody have any idea which lift springs would be the best? I looked at Rubicon Express, but it will cost $125 for each spring and I'd like to get them cheaper than that. Thanks, Andy
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 02:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I tried a few scenarios in 2 different jeeps.

First, when I did the SOA in my CJ7, I used YJ rear springs front and rear. The rear lasted a couple runs before being vertical so I then went with wagoneer front spring in the rear. Those last a couple runs before the was up flush with the frame (too long). So then I went with 6 leaf military wrap CJ in the rear.
Second SOA was in the scrambler which is a little heavier than the 7'. I tried OME's in the front and those flattened out so I went with 6 leaf CJ leafs in the front also. That seems to have done the trick.
BUt, if you don't mind moving hangers and what not, those wagoneer springs Max swapped sure look very flexy!
AS far as aftermarket, I would recommend the JCW 7 leaf CJs like Tom said. Buddy has em on a YJ and they are great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode