Tire Size for New TJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 02:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tire Size for New TJ

I just got a new 97 TJ 4.0 Sport . I know this may be a little preschool for you guys but I need some direction on tire size. I want to know how big and wide I can go without a lift. I plan to add the goodies as I go but I just got a flat and this is a good excuse to get the new tires now. I was under the impression that I could put on 31x10.5x15's....is that true???is that the biggest/widest??? Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 02:34 PM

Re: Tire Size for New TJ

What are your plans for the TJ? Really you should only buy tires once. 4-500 bucks is alot to shell out ya know? If I were you I would consider buying a 2" budget boost without shocks you can get them for 110.00 It is a spacer that goes on top of the spring. This will let you run a 32" tire easily and even a 33" tire for very mild off roading. If you do some hard trails I would recomend a budget boost for 175 includes the shocks and a 1.25" body lift for about $78.00 or so. That will put you up on 33's and heavy a capable TJ.

If you dont wanna lift then a 31x10.5 is about the biggest you can go.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 02:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've had the TJ for a couple months and I do get offroad usually a couple times a week but never too difficult or technical stuff. I still would like my Jeep to be capable offroad...my 2 brothers offroad in a Ford F150 and a Jeep Cherokee and I would take it personally the first time they can handle something that my Jeep can't.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 05:42 PM

31x10.5's will get you along ways down the trail. I just recomend 33's cause I went the same route buying 31's then 33's then 35's then back down to 33's.....This time on my TJ I went right to 33's and am much happier.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 06:42 PM
Billybob015

Yeah my bro put 30" ATs on my 97 wrangler and ever since I've gotten it, I've been itching for them to wear the tread down enough so I can buy a lift and some 32 or 33s. But man those ATs just DONT LOSE TREAD. [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

...How much do yall think a set of used 30's would go for? [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 08:38 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Yep, 31's are it on the stock suspension. A lot of us have been wheeling that setup for a lot of years with great results.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 04:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info guys. I have been thinking about BF Goodrich Mud Terrains...I had some guy at the tire place tell me they were overkill and I should go with the All Terrains what is the opinion on that...would I get more mileage out of the AT's or is there a tire that you guys consider a better value than these 2.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 08:04 PM
I Do This For The Glory

The BFG AT's will give you longer life. I have worn out both sets, and while the MT's did well, the AT's blew them away. The MT's, once about 1/2 worn, were also a lot worse on the road when it was wet or snowy, whereas the AT's kept shining. We got 65K out of the BFG MT's (31") on the TJ before they were toast. The BFG AT's lasted 73K, and the new KO's I have on the Trooper (265/16, basically a 31"), have 67K on them and are at 1/2 tread (just measured them with a tire gauge, for rotation purposes), they are truly awesome, without sacrificing traction.

Now, if you're wheeling a lot and want more grip off-road, then the MT is the way to go. The AT is a good tire, but will clog in the mud faster than the MT. If you're running rocks, sand, snow, and general wheeling with little mud, then the AT would be a decent choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode