Way OT opinions on a 2000 chevy 3500 diesel - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Way OT opinions on a 2000 chevy 3500 diesel

I looked into buying a 2000 3500 srw crew cab diesel today. It seemed to drive nice, but was a little lacking in the power dept. In stock form, the numbers aren't that impressive (215hp and 430 torque) I plan on using this as my Daily driver while towing a 6000 lbs trailer through the mountains every so often. I need it to pull with no problems, while still being able to pull away going up hill. Is the above truck good for my needs? Are there any known issues I should be looking into? Also, what are some good aftermarket things to boost the power? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 01:00 PM

Re: Way OT opinions on a 2000 chevy 3500 diesel

Its a diesel, so it's a torque monster and I'm sure you'll have no problem pulling 6000 pounds. 430 lb/ft of torque is plenty. I tow a 3000 pound load on a regular basis with a GMC Safari Van, and it's got a 4.3L V-6 in it, so I'm sure a diesel like that will have plenty of balls for the job. Just my opinion though.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 01:13 PM
Keyboard Implanted

If you are looking for a truck to drive everyday and pull a load then I would go with a F-250/350. They are said to outpull the chebby. And they are nice trucks.
But.. Ford just released the new power stroke, it is a 6.0 to take the place of the 7.3.... But the new 6.0 has better HP and TQ numbers than the 7.3
What this means is that the price of used Fords with that 7.3 will probably drop a little over the next few months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 01:31 PM
85Jeepny

How about a Dodge? My friend still has his 97 PowerSmoke (which is for sale for a good price) and he bought a Brand New 2002 Cummins with the 6 speed. It's really nice and I think the Torque and HP might be higher, I don't remember who edges out who but it's close.

The Dodge rode WAY better but and got better gas mileage but I can't speak for the newer super duty models.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 01:59 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I was talking to a buddy of mine about this. He's got an F350. He said the Dodge and Ford are pretty close in the torque/horsepower dept., but he said the Dodge loses quite a bit of power through the rest of the drivetrain before it gets to the wheels, where as the Ford didn't lose nearly as much.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Well I can't go with the dodge, cause I need a crew cab without the dually. I was originally looking at the fords, but have read countless comments that both the manual and auto trans are crap. I currently have a ford 150 with 77k miles and the trans is shot. This truck has got to last me a long time with out replacing transmisions. Thanks for the comments, keep em coming [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 02:45 PM

GM 6.6 Duramax diesel (I think it's been used from '99) is rated at 300hp @3100 rpm and 520lbs torque @ 1800 rpm. I'm buying a 2003 later today!!! These trucks have huge amounts of power and can criuse @ 17+ mpg. If that not enough power, you can add a module that increases hp by 95 and torque by 200,,,,400hp and 700lbs. With the module, people are running under 14 second 1/4 mile times. The towing power is just as impressive. You can also add Propane injection for another 80 HP, it injects propane into the air intake which will cause almost ALL the diesel to burn in the combustion camber, I'm told only about 80% normally burns.
If the truck your looking at is lacking power, there may be something wrong with it. I did find that the auto trans input shaft(Alison1000(sp?)) is only rated at 550lbs torque, so I got the ZF6, 6 speed trans for mine. From the research done(alot), the GM is the best all-around truck, good power, ride, trans(the other two company's detune the motors to keep from destroying their trans's),low noise, and nice interior. The 14bolt rear end has a 11.5 ring gear,,,,,,same as a Dana80.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

the 2000 3500 didn't have the duramax allison combo, it has a 6.5 turbo diesel. The 6.5 is only rated at 215 hp and 430 ft/lbs of torque. My other concern was that when I drove the ford with the power stroke, you heard the turbo wine when you punched the gas. With this 6.5, you don't hear anything.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 03:07 PM

Sorry about that, I haven't heard alot of good stuff about the 6.5 but you may want to check this site:
http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 05:07 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i still say go.. ford.. duramax's are nice.. but damn.. those trucks are ugly....
i dont see how a manual transmission can be crap... i have the same damn manual as dodge... and any other 6 speed.. its gears and a clutch.. i mean come on.. its not a puegot.... now.. for the ford auto's.. thats another story.. but with that new 6 ltr that just came out.. they also have a new auto that was made to rival the allison..
and with fords.. why look at a 350.. when you can get a 250.. with the same drivetrain.. and less money cause it has a 2 on it.. instead of a 3... i mean.. are stiffer springs that much more money..
you say you didnt hear the turbo... well.. you also said it didnt have any power either.. i like listening to mine.. has to do with some primal grunting of my species..
i say keep looking for a ford.. since that new one just came out.. i bet alot of p/s start getting turned in.... [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode