O/T: Hair-raising experience (long) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

O/T: Hair-raising experience (long)

Well, I had a cool weekend, almost. A buddy of mine that I haven't seen in 3 years came up to visit me. We had a good meal Saturday night, good chat, good fire etc. We feasted on Alaskan salmon shipped to me by another friend who is a fisherman there. All I can say is it was incredible!

Anyway, come Sunday, we decided to go for a short hike up on the Parkway. With my driveshaft out of my Jeep I borrowed my girlfriends Explorer (2wd!), and my buddy and I set off. Well It has been butt cold here for about a week, and had been sleeting on Saturday, but the roads were fine.

The road to the parkway ascends up a mountain and gets pretty narrow and curvy at the top. Before I realized it though, I was in solid ice. I started sliding immediately. I directed the truck toward the bank (the other side was the mountain edge, with no guardrail) and came to a halt. I tried to back up and do a three point turn, but everytime I hit the gas, the rear end just slid down (we were still ascending the mountain)

After a bit of wigging out and wondering what to do, we decided to back it down. I hit the gas and let the rear end slide down until I was backing down the road. I was extremely uncomfortable with this as I couldn't see how close to the edge I was. I freaked and hit the brakes. This started me in a spin, and directed the nose down slope. Somehow, I realized that this was a good thing, and I tried to use it to my advantage. I held the brakes and let the truck spin around until I was facing back downhill. Luckily (veeerrrry luckily) I had done a 180 in the middle of the road with only a few feet to spare! As soon as I was headed back down hill, I carefully applied the gas and drove out of there.

Needless to say, I was an emotional wreck. A guy that had happened to drive up in his Toyota 4x4 saw the entire thing. We got out of the truck and approached him, as he was stopped on the shoulder. He was freaking out just as much as we were. I can only imagine what it looked like from outside the truck. Yet even after that, the guy got back in his truck, set his tires on the shoulder (near the bank, on the oncoming lane) and drove on up! We high-tailed it out of there.

After thinking about the incident for a day now, all I can say is rather than feel lucky about getting out of there unhurt, I just feel kind of stupid for getting into the situation to begin with. I feel like even if I were in the Jeep, I would have spun out. It was pretty steep, and I didn't even think to use the shoulder. You just can't be too careful!

I guess someone was looking out for us that day... [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 09:20 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: O/T: Hair-raising experience (long)

1. "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out", to quote Will Rogers.
2. Glad you're safe and sound...
3. Keep it safe out there!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 09:37 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Is that anywhere near Boone? I used to go up there when I was in college and cruise as far on the Parkway as I could in the snow and ice while watching SUVs suffer.

I saw an explorer (sound familiar) do the same deal, only backwards (she started out going the right way) at the intersection of 321 and teh Parkway.

Fritz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

No, this is near Asheville. Did you go to Appalachian? Had some friends that went there and visited them occasionally in the winter. I'd say that it is much more treacherous around there. It doesn't snow nearly as much down here... But hey, ice is ice and it ain't nice. Usually the section of parkway between me and town is (to the south) clear all winter. The route going north towards Boone is always closed.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 05:43 PM

Cool.

I have family in Asheville, in fact I'll be there over Christmas. I pretty much grew up there as my Grandmother lives there and I spent every summer there.

No, I went to Lenior-Rhyne College in Hickory. I used to run up to Boone all the time. I miss the mountains bad. I used to take the old CJ out every weekend and wander around the woods between Boone and Asheville. I've covered almost every back road and trail up there that my stock CJ5 could.

My wife and I plan on heading back in a few years, but I doubt we'll be able to move back to that area as there isn't much in my line of work.

Have you gone over the viaduct in the snow yet? That is awesome!

Lucky Bistard!
Fritz
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 06:07 PM
Pooh-Bah

LR in Hickory huh? Yeah I think I have heard of that place. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Its about 4 blocks from my old apartment. If you get back this way, let me know. I know a few of the roads between here and Boone myself. Did you ride Richlands Road much?
This is the entrance now. It has gotten much worse in the last few years.Everyone around here goes there.

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 973545-tireliftrichland.jpg (43.6 KB, 1 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 08:29 PM

Its been nearly three years now, where was Richland Road?

I used to go alone in a CJ5, so I tried to be safe and like I said before "where a stock CJ could take me". From that angle, it doesn't look familiar. There was a trail I wandered onto up near Linville that keep my knuckles white though. ...and I have tagged along on a few Trailblazers rides.

I thought your ride looked familiar though. I went to HS at Hickory High, did four years at LR and then left. My parents and two of my best friends still live in Hickory. I'll be there on New Years. Look for me in a stock Blue TJ X with the SWB BBS sticker on the back....er nevermind, you stand out better than me! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Here's a pic of my old CJ (in the back) and my new TJ just after I got the TJ and before the Cj was disassembled. Maybe you saw the CJ, it lived outside of the Theta Xi house for over three years!

Fritz

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 973674-two jeeps.JPG (63.1 KB, 1 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 11:19 AM

Man it's a small world out there....

I grew up in Boone, went to Watauga High and graduated from ASU... Funny when you think about meeting folks from the world-over.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 01:40 PM

Lets see how small:

Did you know a girl named Anne Younce? She was a good friend of mine who went to school up there. Haven't heard from her since.

Fritz
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 03:02 PM

Nope, didn't know an Anne Younce, but I did know a Susan Younce... You know if they are related?

To give you a timeframe, graduated HS in 89 and college in 93 (the 5 year plan).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode