Electrical fire damage pics - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Electrical fire damage pics

Well if you remember, back before thanksgiving I had a small electrical fire under the dash that melted the headlight switch and a bunch of wires in the stock harness. So I decided it was time to replace all of the wiring with a new harness. While removing the wiring I discovered that the wires going to the rear of the CJ were nothing more than an extension cord wired into the tail lights. But now that finals are over and I'm back home with my baby, I've started work on her again and I've got some pics of the damaged wires to share with ya'll. Enjoy!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 12:32 AM

Re: Electrical fire damage pics

I feel your pain my friend. I had the same thing happen to me on my CJ. There was a smog connector that hung down from the dash. It was not connected when I got the Jeep. I believe it was had something to do with leaning out the motor when the trans was in 3 gear. Well it dropped down while driving down the street and melted on the manifold. It then shorted out the wire and melted all the wires from the switch to the headlights to the headlight switch to the ignition switch. All of it was melted together. I took this opportunity to replace all the wires and put in an actual fuse panel. The Jeep came with only in line fuses and all the power running through the ignition switch. I was truly amazed at the fact that the factory did not use a fuse panel in 1973. Good luck with your wiring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode