'51 Willy's in good shape for ~$1k, good deal? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

\'51 Willy\'s in good shape for ~$1k, good deal?

I've seen this willy's on my way to work for a few weeks now, so I stopped to check it out today. The guy wants $1,000. The frame and body are in great shape. It needs painted as it has been primered here and there. It has almost no rust on it, even the windshield frame is in great shape. It has a 4 cyl (said was not original), I believe a D44 rear and D20 front (pass. drop??) and the tranny and transfer case I believe are origninal (twin stick transfer case, manual tranny).
So if were to buy it, my plan would be to sell the tj,(since I rarely drive it) and get the willys into shape for 33-35's and use it for my toy. So overall does $1k sound like a good deal for a willy's in this kind of shape?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 07:43 PM
Old Hand

Re: \'51 Willy\'s in good shape for ~$1k, good deal?

Well a grand is a good price in my neighborhood. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] The front diff is probably a spicer 25 or 27 possibly. Check the rear diff it may also be a 41 not a 44. The stock T90 will not hold up well wilth those tires you mentioned if you plan to run a larger engine. I hope this will help.
Thanx Mike
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 07:52 PM
Keyboard Implanted

If the body has no rust and the hood is good, i would have allready bought it. The motor, trans, rears, frame are all on the weak side, but just to have the tub, hood, and grill for a project on a YJ frame would be a great toy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 08:36 PM

I would buy it. I've thought about building up a beater but decided to stay with my tj. If your tj's body is in good shape i'd return it to stock or as close to stock as you can get it since it will probably bring more $$.

BarrelRoll
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 09:20 PM
jeepfiend

$1000 is a good deal, especially if it runs! If it is a 51, it is a CJ3A, it has a Dana 44 rear, and a dana 25 front, a T90 tranny and a dana 20 t-case. The 25 is not terrible, but the birfields are a little weak, especially for 33's or 35's. I would do a Warn hub conversion on the back, or get a set of one piece axles made. Moser told me in order to get one piecers for my CJ2, I just need to send them the old two piece shafts and they can make a set of one piecers. If you are thinking 33's or 35's I would do a Wrangler spring conversion with a spring over. If it still has the old Ross steering you will definitlely want to do a Saginaw conversion. i don't imagine that the old bellcrank would last too long with 33's or 35's pushing it around. The T90 tranny will live behind everything up to a healthly V-6. I have seen them last quite a while behind a 350, but it requires a delicate touch on the skinny pedal [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. The dana 18 is a pretty good t-case, but the countershaft is more than likely very worn. A really trick conversoin is to use a Dana20 case and put the 18 guts into it. This also allows the use of a low gear kit if you desire [img]images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]. A buick V-6 is a pretty slick conversion, and has been done by a lot of people. The Buick V-6 was even used as a stock Jeep motor in the 60's (CJ 5's & 6's). At a thousand bucks it is a screamin deal! If you don't want it, if it is close to Utah let me know. Everybody knows there is no harm in one more Jeep, especially if it is a flatfender! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 09:22 PM
Way Outta Control

1. What a nice find.
2. Like the others.. I'd buy it!
3. Enjoy the ride.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Wow, thanks for all the quick replies. The hood was in good shape, but someone cut a hole in the top where an open air cleaner sticks out, and a hole in the side of it for exhaust?? I didn't get to hear it run yet. He said the starter was wrapping real bad and needed replaced. I think I can get him to come down from $1,000, since he said "oh, i guess a thousand dollars". Cash talks though. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I should be going back by there tomorrow, and if he can get it started I'll probably buy it. I'll post some pics if I buy it.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 01:01 PM
Enthusiast

What a deal, sorry to hear about the hole in the hood. That means you most likely you have the f-head engine, a common replacement for the l-head that would have been stock. If you plan to keep the f-head I can tell you how to fit a solex carb under the hood to keep the stock appearance. I am really happy with my 51 and am still 'investigating options' for the 49.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 08:42 AM
M38

it could be a military 51 look and see if it has the snorkle cover on the right side of the hood, or dents in the body for the axe and stuff?

clint
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 05:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

is the snorkle hole from the right side an indactor of a miltary jeep because my 59 cj6 has the cut out for the snorkle i would not think there would be any chance of it being a m170
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode