O/T Trailers - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

O/T Trailers

Hey all, I am thinking about getting a trailer to haul the jeep around to the trails. its an '85 cj-7. what types of trailers do you recomend? I am thinking that a tandom axle with 3500# axles should be strong enough. thats a 7000# GVW. I figure that the heep is probably around 4000-4500# GVW.

I was considering a 8'x16' with a metal floor. I was considering putting expanded metal for the floor vs. a dimond plate. I don't think I want a wood floor because of wood rot.

what do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 04:31 PM

Re: O/T Trailers

My dad and I have built two trailers in the last couple years. This first was a 16' double axle. We used torsion axles which was a mistake. The swing arms on the axles must piviot up the outside of the frame. I think we used 8' axes (Im not sure) I know they aren't the widest. This caused the space between the fenders to be 72" This is BARELY wide enough for my Jeep. It pinches the tires. We built the thing for motorcycles, so width wasn't an issue. We used treated 2x10's for the floor. This works good. The torsion axles also cause tongue weight problems because they don't pivot like spring ones. (It tends to whip more often)

The second trailer is the same size but covered. We used spring axles that have the same outside width, but we could move the fenders out a couple inches which gives me plenty for the Jeep.

Be careful that the hauling capacity of the trailer matches the axle capacity. Some cheap trailers have 3500 lb axles, but are only rated for 2 or 3 thousand lbs.

It sure is nice being able to haul the jeep.

Hope this helps.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

what is your guess of what a jeep weighs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 06:28 PM

Why guess the wieght? Most truck stops or scrap yards have scales and will wiegh you for a nomial fee of course.

I'd load the Jeep up with the common items you take 4 wheeln or camping and get it wieghed then you wouldn't be guessing on how big a trailer you need.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

yeah, that would be the best way, but, my jeep is in pieces right now and I would like to try and get it before the end of the year. I was just wondering if someone else already knew. a few hundard pounds one way or the other is fine.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 09:54 PM
utahjeepr

"my jeep is in pieces right now and I would ..."

That makes it easy. Pick up a piece, stand on bathroom scale, deduct your weight. Weigh every piece and add it up. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously though 4000-4500 is a reasonable estimate, any more than that and your Jeep needs to go on a diet and get more exercise.

A word on wood decks. When you load your Jeep up in the pouring rain a wood deck is a good thing. Metal decks get slippery. The boards last quite a while and 2x12s are cheap. My trailer is 4-5 years old and all wood is still A-OK.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 11:25 PM

I agree with the slippery metal deck thing....... then add any random fluid that a jeep might let go of [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] and, well, you get the picture. it's not pretty
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 06:13 AM
Can't Get Enough

I have a 16 foot long trailer and it is just long enough for the CJ7 because it has a beaver tail at the back. If you plan on hauling anything longer, a 18 foot long trailer would be nice. I've hauled a J10 on my 16 footer, but it was sitting partially down on the beaver tail to get the weight distribution right.

Most wood decks are treated nowdays, so rot is not an issue. Also, check the weight of the trailer and make sure that your tow vehicle is capable of pulling it and the Jeep. Some metal deck trailers can get heavy. My wood deck 16 foot weighs about 1500#.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 06:18 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I would also say that a wood deck is the way to go. Treated wood will last many years. And if you start to get to where you think that it may be time to replace... You just do. Get some new boards and lay them down. Job done, and you don't have to worry about rust. I would rather replace one or two boards, than have to cut out rust and then weld in patchs. And you also get that added traction with the wood.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 04:33 PM

My 82 CJ-7 weighs 4400 lbs; most landscape supply yards are happy to let you use their scale. I run a 16 foot trailer; it has a straddle type truckbed tool box across the front and there is still room for the jeep.

Max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode