2.5 wrangler power - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 02:42 PM
kanai

2.5 wrangler power

I want to buy a used yj in the $4500-$5500 range. SO far all i can find is the 2.5 liter models. I used to have a nissan 4X4 sith the 4 banger, with 31 inch tires and didn't mind the lack of muscle. Does anyone run the 31s on their 2.5 wrangler, is it to weak?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 02:58 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: 2.5 wrangler power

I Like mine just fine, the only time I notice a lack of power is highway speeds. I have 31-10.50 Coopers. When in 4wd I do not notice a lack of power at all. I am getting ready to go up to 32-10.50's and for the most part I am not too concerned power wise.
HOWEVER From someone who has had 2 jeeps with 2.5 if you can score a 4.0 in your price range I would give preferance to it. The 4.0 is a good engine.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 03:12 PM

What speeds do you want to run? Around town a 2.5 with 31s will most likly be ok, it should have 4.11 gears with a manual gear box. At road speeds it may not have enough power in 5th gear with 31s. In low rang you should be ok. Try to find a 4.0 that's what I have and I ran 31s ok except for up a steep grade. I also instaled a 2 inch body lift for the 31s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 04:12 PM

I think "2.5 wrangler power" is an oxymoron [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
I've had one since '96, and it's been a pretty good ride. It is gutless, but I was still able to use 5th w/ 31's and a 2" body lift. Watch out for the condition of the 5 speeds though. AX-5's are known to have syncro problems, and if you ever plan on tires larger than 31", say good bye to your overdrive. Other than that.. They're great, but if you can afford it, go w/ the I6. You probably don't have to worry too much about cold winters, so Hard top is not required, but you won't hear much else that flapping on the highway w/ a soft top... Good luck w/ your search... Keep us posted! [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 07:42 PM
Old Hand

Here's a decent web site for ya 4Bangers United
They're even in Hawaii [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 07:19 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I run 33X12.5's on a 4" lift with my 2.5L. I haven't used 5th gear in months. The only time I can use it is when on the freeway going down hill, and even then it is just to give the motor a little break, soon as it gets flat... right back into 4th. And even in 4th I can't keep up with traffic. I can do 60-65, but traffic seems to do 70-80. The 2.5 has to work so hard most of the time that I don't really get very good gas milage, )less than 15). But in 4wd the 2.5 does the job, unless I get in real deep. I think with 31's you should be fine, as long as you don't want to get anywhere in a real hurry, but if you plan on ever going bigger than 31's I would think about going bigger. I am in the process now of a 350 swap.
But the 2.5L is a great motor. I haven't had any serious trouble with mine since I got it 50K ago. And it has seem some real hard miles. It just keeps on chugging away. And doensn't use any oil.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 02:41 PM

I run 33x10.5 TSL's on my 2.5L Hills kind asuck but other then that it does just fine. I can still use 5th on the flats and even some hills as long as they arent to steep. The thing you have to remember is to watch your rpms. Dont let them get lower then 2100 or so without down shifting or you'll lug down. I am regearing to 4.88's next month though.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 08:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have no problem and i run 33x10.5's although i don't do much h-way drivin with 31's you'll probally still be able to use 5th.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 11:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm running 33s and had 31s. I had a '90 four banger and the engine kinda sucked in it. It wouldn't do very well on hard inclines on the highway. I have a '95 four banger now with 33s and I can still keep up with traffic on interstates and have not come across any problem with lack of power off road. Inclines kind of bog it down but not too bad. I still want a bigger engine but the 4.10 gears in it is what keeps me tied to it.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 09:52 AM
kanai

Thanks for all the info guys. I just may get the 2.5. Maybe instead of settling for a YJ, I may end up getting a TJ. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode