302 header options - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 12:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

302 header options

Ok guys, I'm to the point in my swap where I need to workout the exhaust issues. The stock manifold is *REALLY* close on the drivers side. Now I could probably make it work, but with all of the work I've done to the engine I thing this would be a bottleneck anyways. Most of the headers I am looking at seem to have the same clearence problems I have now. I found one set that looks like it will work...what do you guys running a 302 think? Also, what size exhaust are you running (3 inch?) I have heard that with the 302 HO you should run a dual exhaust (from Mustang sources) but I simply do not have the room for that without sacrificing clearence and I don't want to do that! Any opinions welcome! Thanks.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 08:11 PM
77rigid

Re: 302 header options

I'm not going to be much help because I am running the exhaust manifolds,mufflers and tips from the Mustang GT donor car(or so I am told).I don't seem to have any clearance problems,but I didn't do the swap.I bought the jeep with it already in.Wish I could have helped you some
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 09:34 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I ended up going with the manifolds too (F100). I tried the stock 5.0 'stang shorties but they interferred with my mechanical clutch (not sure what you are running clutch-wise). I tried some "block hugger" headers, but the PASSENGER side dumped right on top of the front driveshaft. I never got around to trying an older set of headers.... something for an F100, but I would guess they would work.

I don't see an issue with a "Y" pipe on a jeep. The mustang crowd is running in a different RPM range. I have duals on my CJ5, but it's only 2"... nothing major... just a nice sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 10:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

IN2DEEP, how are you routing your dual exhaust? I have tried to imagine how a dual setup was possible without exiting out the sides and sacrificing clearance.

Mike
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 08:53 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Actually there isn't many clearance issues. The biggest hassle is getting between the gas tank and the spring shackles. The gas tank is offset to one side. I actually dropped my tank, redrilled some holes in the skid plate and rehung it centered between the shackles.

My driver's side manifold dumps DOWN... in front of the clutch belcrank, and my passenger side dumps straight out the back.

Both pipes run inside the frame rails, over the skid plate and beside the gas tank. I initially had the exhaust pointing straight back. But it was STINKY. So then I had the exhaust angled out over the spring behind the tires. But when I moved up to 37s, they ate my pipes first thing. Now I have the pipes come all the way out with a 90 degree turn out after the shackles. Dumping out on both sides.

I would think any DECENT muffler guy could install duals. Just get your manifolds figured out, and let him do the rest. If you don't mind moving the gas tank I would do it. Simple fix. Really seemed to open the one side up. And I've never had a muffler guy complain. It's actually the third set of duals i've had put on.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 08:45 AM
Addict

I'm towards the end of a 302 swap on my ranger and had header clearance issues. i ended up going with a set of flowtech headers for a big bronco. they hug the motor and exit down and rear by the flywheel. i cant remember if there's a difference in frame widths of wranglers and rangers but these may work fo you.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 09:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I put a 302 in my Scrambler this season and ended up buying headders from Advance Adapters.
They dump straight down towards the ground from inbetween the middle two cylinders. I had thesame Headders in your picture but the drivers side exited right on top of my Hydro clutch slave cylinder so I sp[ent the $204. for the AA haedders.
As for my Exhaust I had to get it custom installed.
I wanted single exhaust to keep the exhaust maintenance down and have 2 1/4" collector pipes teed together into 3" exhaust pipe.
Plenty of flow and sounds good with the quietest muffler I could get. I like to hear the engine over the exhaust not vise-versa.

So far so good, I've twisted my Jeep and slammed down on the exhaust here and there, it's all holding together and staying sealed. Much better than my exhaust setup I had on my 258!!

I found a really good local shop here in the Seattle area (Totem Lake Muffler King) to do my work.
It cost $540. that s more than what I paid for the donor car!
However these guys did a great job, since they are wheelers they understood what I needed done and rose to the challenge.
My exhaust runs inside the frame on the Driver side and exits through the rear spring pointing out towards the rear Drivers corner of the Jeep (At an angle).
Nice and tight and out of the way of rocks and the earth.

Sorry I don't have any pictures or I would mail them to you.

Mark
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 12:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks guys! Grapehead, the header pic I posted is the FlowTech Bronco header, so hopefully I will have as much sucess as you did with it [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The Advanced Adapters header looks like it may interfere with my M.O.R.E. motor mounts, and I don't want to take that chance, since there's not a lot of room to the side of the motor either on the drivers side. I'm ordering the FlowTech set, and I'll post some pics when I get it installed.

Mike
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2002, 08:15 PM

Mike

I'm interested in seeing how those headers work for you. It won't be long until I've got to make a header decision as well. From a post I started a while back titled "302 Oil Pan Clearance Issues" ChrisM mentioned he modified his MORE motor mounts to fit the shorty headers he used. It would be nice to know what headers he used. BTW... what setup are you using for your flywheel, starter, clutch, etc? Are you using a slave cylinder?

Lee
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 07:06 AM
Dean

I don't know what Chris M used, but I used Ford Racing shorty block hugger headers on mine. The MORE mounts had to be clearanced a bit where they bolt to the block, and I had to use a mini high torque starter from a '94 - '95 'Stang to clear the headers. I had originally used AA's headers which I thought were pure crap considering what they cost. I had a hard time getting the things to stay sealed because of the very thin flange on them. I ended up giving them away just to get rid of them. The Ford Racing units run about the same price as AA's, ~$225 from Summit Racing, and they're much better quality and JetHot coated to boot.
http://www.feeper.net/engine5.jpg
Dean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode