SOA almost complete but a few last questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

SOA almost complete but a few last questions

My e-brake lines are to short ... is there a longer line or a way to add/attach more lengh to them?

Is there any good way to bleed brake lines? (I can never get it done right the first time)

I also did a shackle reversal and no it nose dives when i hit the brakes is this normal? can it be fixed?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 09:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: SOA almost complete but a few last questions

You did a SOA and you don't know how to bleed your brakes???????

Here is how I bleed my brakes, alone using the Gravity Bleed Method

Start with your Jeep on a level surface.

Open the bleeder valve furthest away from the Master cylinder (Rear Passenger tire) open the valve and let it flow (Don't push on the brake pedal just let Gravity do the work for you) wait for a few minutes or untill the Fluid is flowing clearly with no bubbles in it.
Close the valve.

Repeat going the the rear Drivers tire, then the front Passenger tire then finally the front drivers tire.

If you want to be thoruogh you could let each valve bleed until you have bled one or two master cylinders woth of fluid through the lines. While this insn't nesscesarily a must do It will flush the lines and ensure you have bled the lines completely.

It may be possible that your master cylinder needs to be bled (only if you let all the fluid out of it) to bleed the master cylinder;

(Bleed the Master cylinder (MC) before bleeding the brakes)

fill the MC resivoirs, with the cover on the MC pump the brake pedal 1"-2" in and out untill the pedal feels firm.

It may take a lot of little strokes but eventualy the pedal will firm up.
After that then bleed the brakes.

About your nose diving, it sounds like your Brake porportioning valve may be set up incorrectly for your Jeep.
I removed my stock porportioning valve and replaced it with (front brakes) a "Tee" splitting up the line out of the MC to the front disks.
And the Rear I used a porportioning valve from Summit racing ($39.) inbetween the rear MC lines and the rear brakes.
This allows me to valve down my rear brakes manually to adjust for nose diving or tires locking up.
It sounds like in your case you may need to valve down your front brakes.
Finally regarding E-brakes.
I removed mine completely since I never trusted it anyways and I went with rear disks and haven't botherd to fabricate an E-brake system.

Good luck.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 10:13 AM
Way Outta Control

Humm... an Ebrake soulition...?

Rear Ebrake Frame Mount:

1. Cut off the Ebrake mounting assembly from the frame.
3. Move it BACK (and down if you want).
4. Reweld it back on the frame.

Now if you don't want to do this you can also cut and splice the cables using good ol' cable clamps on the cable to lenghten the OEM cable.

Now for a hint to help keep the Ebrake Working while living 280 miles west of the WInter Salt Captial of the Rust belt... Fargo Moorehead (Or was that Margo Forehead [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]}

1. Remove the Ebrake Pedal assembly
2. Remove the Ebrake line.
3. Cut the flexible sheething at the floor under the thb
4. Buy some 3/8" hard brake line.
5. From the brake line to repalce the flexible sheeth from 1" inside the tub, back to the newly relocated.Ebrake cable mount
6. Weld the flexible end of the OEM sheeth to the brake line. This flexible porition is never exposed to the weather.
7. On the other end weld a nut to limit exposure of the tube to the elements.
8. Drill into the hard line about where it would be accessible when mounted.
9. Get a Zerk Fitting, and find a nut that fits it's thread.
10. Grind the nut to the conture of the hard line.
11. Weld the nut over the hole.
12. Using thread lock, inset the zerk fitting into the nut.
13. Cover the whoe assembly with a couple of coats of hammerite.
14. Use the compression fitting on the rear of the tube to mount to the OEM sheeth Frame mount. It'll fit like a glove.
15. Mount the new line.
16. Run the cable.
17. Fill'er up with grease!

Now the new sheeth's done, better'n new. Darn, wasn't that simple and cheap!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 10:17 AM
Keyboard Implanted

if your ebrakes are too short.. look into some early yj's.... they should be alittle longer.. my stock yj brake lines worked fine with my soa..... mmm... nose diving is normal.. if you go with an adjustable shock... then you can valve them up... or get an adjustable proportioning valve from summit..
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

mrmacrro,
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
You did a SOA and you don't know how to bleed your brakes???????

[/ QUOTE ] I didn't say I couldn't I just said I'm not very good at it [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] But it is rather comical. I did gravity bleed them but I did not bleed the MC so thats probably the problem. Thanks

I have a question regarding the porportioning valve ... it worked fine before so how would changeing springs affect it? could it be the fact that I didn't bleed the MC that is causing the nose dive?

Leve,
Thanks for the info ... I'll have to give that a shot living in the all the salt is sure difficult on the cars. But we have no snow to speak of yet ... its a rather odd year.

thanks

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 12:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a question regarding the porportioning valve ... it worked fine before so how would changeing springs affect it? could it be the fact that I didn't bleed the MC that is causing the nose dive?

[/ QUOTE ]

I Dunno....sometimes weird ship happens after mods are made.
When I installed my new axles my springs suddenly wouldn't flex like they once did. WHy? I don't know I ended up removing a leaf out of each one to get back to the way it was. Now I'm breaking leafs so I too am going SOA.
I'm not doing the shackle reversal though. I am using the pattern laid out here ; http://www.jeeptech.com/susp/cjsoa.html
It seems to make sense to me, and I like the "Keeping it cheap" attitude the author has.

I'd suggest searching the forums over at www.pirate4x4.com for more info on your nose diving issue I'm sure it has been coverd over there.

Just do a search and keep trying, if you post in the BBS they will be all over you attacking like rabid dogs "do a friggin SEARCH NEWBIE" etc.... They aren't exactly friendly but they do have a lot of usefull info to glean from their archives.

Good luck!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 12:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I also did a shackle reversal and no it nose dives when i hit the brakes is this normal? can it be fixed?

[/ QUOTE ]

The big reason why I DON'T like shackle reversal on a CJ. A panic stop on the street will gain an entirely new meaning for you.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 02:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

you nose diving has to do with the shackle reversal.. your wieght goes forward and down when you brake.. and putting the shackle in the rear.. well.. it flattens out easier there.. since its getting pushed back.. while its in the front... its harder to push it out and up.. since the vehicle is going down... in the front..
i would run a stiffer shock.. adjustable one up front.. or all around.. but adjust them slightly stiffer in the front...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 03:36 PM
Way Outta Control

if you post in the BBS they will be all over you attacking like rabid dogs "do a friggin SEARCH NEWBIE" etc..

[/ QUOTE ] 1. Did I miss something?
2. Junkyard dogs? I posted there a couple of times.. and came back with all my limbs... but I don't like the place.
3. I don't see any Junkyard Dogs here, except Dirtdog when he's off his meds, and perhaps TR who's never taken his meds!
4. Here's a few of our local Junkyard dogs on patrol!

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Yah after I sat down and thought about it it makes sence that it nose dives more now ... I've got rancho 9000s so i'll just adjust them and get the brakes bleed right and see if i need to tinker with the proportioning valve.

thanks all [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode