Question about oil in distributor - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 06:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Question about oil in distributor

I attempted the nutter bypass and ended up with a bad knock on acceleration so I put it back including a new ignition module. The knock was better, or not so bad, so I had a mechanic(friend) listen to it. He said transmission. I called my trans guy on a friday morning to take it by his place for a listen that afternoon. At lunch when I went out the knock had dissapeared. I took it to him anyway, his suggestion being it was probably the advance sticking. I took dist. out and found it full of oil. And the heavy spring was very loose. My ??? is should I change the heavy spring or tighten it up? Should I worry about the oil? Is there an O ring to replace? What is the relationship with the heavy spring and the light spring? Also, my total timing is 38 to 40, at this point how can I lessen it to the RRich prescribed 35 max? Or should I let a professional tune the distributor, if I can find one. It would of course be more fun to mess it up myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 06:50 AM

Re: Question about oil in distributor

Check the vacuum advance diaphragm for a leak which can suck oil and combustion gasses up past the shaft seal.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 07:25 AM

In addition to the previous advice, Is this the first time that you inspected the distributor closely? Or in recent times? Maybe it's been full of oil for some time. Is there oil in your air cleaner as well? It's not uncommon for an older engine to wear to the point that blowby pressurizes the crankcase and drives oil out at every opportunity. Make sure the crankcase is properly vented, no hoses plugged, and use a catch can for any oil coming out the pcv vent, if necessary. Keep the pcv system, it is beneficial in several ways.

I don't see any relationship between doing the nutter bypass and having a knock, if you set your timing to the same total advance as before. You probably are getting more advance, as the original computer, now by-passed, had some detrimental role in the performance. If the springs are screwed up (and I can't figure out why it didn't cause a problem before the nutter bypass), that will certainly cause a problem.

I'd clean out the distributor with solvent of excess oil. Not sure what you mean about the springs. Both mechanical advance springs were identical on my distributor. I'd stick to the stock springs unless you want to spend time setting up a faster curve and playing with initial advance. Are the springs off on one end or stretched out permanently? They should have good tension when installed. If they are suspect, perhaps you had better install a new pair of springs. Available from dealer or parts store? Not sure myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 09:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

What engine do you have dude?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 11:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have the 4.2.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 11:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

4.2 probably stock 258 right?

How many miles?

My guess is blow-by spewing oil out your Distributor into the CAP and ROTOR.

The knocking could be the bottom end not getting enough oil since the pressure is going out the Dist and not into the journals. What was your oil pressure during the knocking?

My friend has a similar problem without the knocking.
He put "Super Punch" lubricant into his motor and now it seems to be working fine.
Of course it is just prolonging the engines eventual failure. Hopefully it will buy enough time for him to decide which V-8 he wants to install.

My advise to you would be to check your cylinders for compression, if they check out make sure you have plenty of oil in the motor then check your oil pressure.

Consult "Haynes" or "Chiltons" for pressure, compression specs.

P.S. the more specifics you give about your motor the better results you will recieve in this or any other BBS group.
We can (almost) never have to much information when it comes to trouble shooting over the net!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode