NP231 Input Seal Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

NP231 Input Seal Question

I just got finished pulling my NP231 out of my YJ. Replacing the output seal on the AX15 is pretty straight forward, but I have a simple question about the input seal on the NP231. I assume I pull the whole retainer, correct? Then just plop a new seal in and be off, or will parts be falling out when I pull it? [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] Any idea on what to torque it down to, or just firmly tight? Thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 09:15 PM

Re: NP231 Input Seal Question

You can remove the seal with out removing the retaner. be sure to lube the shaft and seal before installation. You can also remove the retaner. No parts will fall out! Clean all surfaces. Use silicon on the retaner to case surface.
Locate the oil return passage, don't block it with silicon,and install in the correct position. It will be easy! Good luck!

Sinbad the silver fox.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I see this was your first post, so welcome to the board! Thanks for your help. How would I get the seal out without removing the retainer? If I pull the retainer, I assume the oil return passage is pretty obvious and easy to keep free of silicon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 12:19 AM
Way Outta Control

Sid,
1. Welcome to the forum.
2. Thanks for filling out your user profile. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
3. Read the New Posters Message at the top of the forum.
4. Keep Participating! Two heads are better'n one! [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Ok, well, I just did the seal. I pulled the retainer, and did it that way. Lots of silicon there to clean up. I ended up taking off the larger snap ring/c-clip, but put it back in the same spot. As for re-sealing it, I just used some hi-temp black sealant and smeared it all over the piece, but making sure that the oil-passage was open. We'll see if this does the trick!! I didn't know what to torque the bolts to, so I just cranked 'em pretty good and blue-lock-tighted them. What ya think?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 02:37 PM

Works for me! Glad I could help.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 05:45 PM
Wrangler88

hey jammy just a word of advice... i had the output seal on my AX-5 go, and the first time i replaced it it lasteed about 2 months then started leaking, ,so i replaced it again, and about 2 months later it started leaking...what happenedd was, that i wasn't putting the seal ALL THE WAY IN, when i installed it, just make sure its as far in as it can go, or it'll leak, when i put mine in i put it so it was flush with the rest of the housing if u wanna call it that, but it does go back a little bit further, if that made any sense just let me know...but yeah make sure that seals IN! HA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode