willys parts - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 06:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

willys parts

good morning, i have several c-j's but i always wanted a willys wagon and finaly got a 57 willys wagon 4x4.my wife bought it for my birthday.it's a little run down but of course you haven't seen me!! can some one help me to what to refference to when getting parts. most places i see to order will have dates listed for years but not model.it seems wagons are not listed the way other models are .or it may be i'm even more confused than i thought!!. is the bottom half compared to a perticulre c-j or a perticular model? i hope some one will understand my ? if there is any one who will take me under there wing it will be greatly appreciated.

thank you
mgcrashajeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 07:50 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: willys parts

Welcome to he board!! There are some places you can call and get "Infomred" wisdom. Call Walks.. but I dont have a number, or de a yahoo search on it. Krage will have some stuff.. it is www.jeepdoc.com. He is really knowlegable. There are a few more I just cant think of right now, but the drivetrain of the wagons are similar to CJs. T90, Dana 18. The flat head 6, if it has it, is a big pig of a motor. I know jeep had problems with one of the 6 cyls, but I dont know if it was the flat head or Fhead 6. But just not alot of power. Are you restoring it? or making it into a semi-restored/modified trail vehicle?
They are a neat truck.
Congrats... wish my wife would buy me a jeep ;(

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 12:12 PM

If you have questions about your '57, email me. I might have the answers. I'm slowly working on one of the last of the true Willys wagons, a 453FA2, so I've done quite a bit of research.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 01:32 PM

A lot of the older Willys trucks had a strange rear axle from Timken. It split in half side to side. Other's had a Dana 53 (that's what my dad's pickup has). I believe the wagons used that drivetrain. The tranny and transfer case were the same found in some CJs, and I believe that the front was a Dana 27. Here are a couple of useful Willy's links:

Willy's Tech

Willys Trucks and Wagons

Willy's Parts source list

Here's the 1963 willy's my dad is working on. These pics are about 2 months old. Since then he has gotten a hold of a Ford 260 V-8 that is the current plan to drop in:

Dad's Willy's Project

Good luck, and how about posting some pics when you can!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 06:45 PM

Congrats!
You may have already gotten this info from the above links, but you want to use the term "Utility wagon", or "L6-226" or "F4-134" when fetching parts. ( the latter depends on whether it has a 6 cyl or 4cyl. and are the actual model names of the vehicles.)

The problematic motors were the ohc ones, IMO, the flatheads are great.

The wagons used a 44 rear, the 53 was only used in some trucks. (not sure about the Timkin axle applications.)
HTH
edit:just looked at my FSM, follow-up the L6-226 with "4x4", this means wagon. 4WD means truck.
also check out willys america
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 09:04 PM

The timken was evidently in a lot of the trucks, not the wagons. I've seen an exploded view of the timken. Seems like an okay axle, but I never did find a traction control device for one, and working on one must be a pain--splitting the housing that way anytime you want to work on it would mean having to pull it from the springs each time! I've found one traction control device that was made for the 53, but the only guy who ever seems to get a hold of them is George the Jeep, and he's looking for one for my dad right now......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode