Basic shock question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2002, 10:20 AM
madmaxx

Basic shock question

Ok, I need some basic shock advice. First some background.The shocks will be going on a jeep w/built 350 / 465 / 300 / 60 front / 14 bolt / SOA / 39.5 boggers on 15X10 steel wheels. I live in the south and will be running trails like Tellico. I am a collage student so money is an issue. I am trying to decide what shocks I should use. Being on a budget, I am trying to decide between using RS9000's or something cheaper like RS5000 or procomp ES9000's. So other than being adjustable, what am I getting for the extra cost of the RS9000's. Also, what are going to be the disadvantages of the cheaper shocks.

Thanks for any advice or information
Maxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2002, 10:49 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Basic shock question

I have used the 9000s for years and love them. The 5000s are a little on the stiff side for me. My friends have all swapped to them after riding in my jeep and seeing it work on the trail. Spend the extra bucks for the shocks, you won't be sorry. Wait until they have a buy 3 get 1 free sale.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2002, 10:56 AM

Re: Basic shock question

I am under the impression that adjustable shocks are for fine tuning a soft suspension system. SOA, Dana 60, and 39's that's some weight, plus a 350 sitting on top of it in the front, your suspension is probably not as soft as the standard SUV population. Depending on how stiff your spring packs are currently, I don't know if you would see the benifit of an adjustable shock.

I assume when you are talking about a cheaper shock you are referring to the RS5000s, correct? Those are great shocks. Price is right and they handle extreme wear and tear. I can't think of a disadvantage. But I could be off base in my logic...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode