JCWhitney shipping? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

JCWhitney shipping?

I ordered a set of Rear CJ springs for my SOA from JC Whitney on 12/4/02. They told me 3 to 5 days for shipping. Well after 5 days they told me that the springs needed to be shipped directly from the factory. Now we are talking about 3 to 4 weeks!

Anyone have any experience ordering these? If so how long did it take you to get them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 11:27 PM

Re: JCWhitney shipping?

JCW has been erratic on almost every order I've gotten from them. I once ordered up all the patch panels to fix the floor on my old '76 high boy and they took the order, charged my card, and didn't ship some of the stuff! Since I live in Alaska they decided the "floor pan" sheet metal was too big to ship! What frosted me was that I had made it VERY clear to the salesman where I lived and he said shipping it was no problem. They didn't give me any hassle on getting my money back though, so that was something. Ended up a guy in town had the parts I needed.....ended up costing me $50 more than parts plus shipping (the rate I was quoted anyway) from JCW. Real kicker is I ended up with the jeep before fixing the floor, and the parts went with the truck [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Anyhow, I've had both very good and not so good experiences with JCW. I've switched to Rosser and Quadratech for most stuff. They've both been excellent every time I've worked with them.

It sounds like you had the same salesman I did....promised one thing without looking into the size of the item, and whether it was a stocking item or came from the factory. I hate to say it, but unless you can cancel the order and get it somewhere else faster, I'm afraid you are going to have to wait. You might want to drop their customer service department a line though.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2002, 08:06 AM

One thing I've learned is don't be in a hurry if you order stuff from them but sometimes you can't beat their prices. When I built my VW sand rail I ordered a bunch of stuff from them and it took 6 months before I got everything luckly it was engine parts that took the longest so it didn't hold me up to bad.

Their shipping dept needs to take lessons from their catalog dept. I ordered a catalog online a while back and it was in my mail box in 3 days.

I just got a quadratec catalog and was surprised to see they beat Whitneys price on the stuff I'm looking at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2002, 09:35 AM
Way Outta Control

I like JCWhitney [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

1. JCWhitney is among the least expensive reseller I've found.
2. I quoted their price to the a 4WD Parts Warehouse guy on the phone.
3. He
a. Started to laugh,
b. and said I couldn't compare his store to JCW as
c. JCW was such a "cheap" company.
4. He got mighty serious when
a. I told him where he could stick the part
b. if he wasn't going to honor the store policy of
c. matching the price
4. Because
a. I'm a "cheap" SOB
c. and I shop price
5 I asked for his manager.
6. The manager gave me
a. The same song and dance,
b. That the store would only lower the price
c. If the competition were smiliar to thiem...
d. and finally admited JCW was a similar VAR to tho 4WDPW.
e. and gave me the discount.
7. I wasn't impressed with
a. Their trying to wiggile out of a statement in print
b. and never reordered from them again.
8. You can count on JCW screwing up something in the order.
9. When this happens I ALWAYS ask for a manager.
10. I request another 15% to 25% off the order due to the problem.
11. Or, I'll cancel the order and send stuff back!
12. They've never failed to give me an additonal discount.
13. Bottom line is I save about 40% on parts, tools, etc. when they screw up.
14. I pray for them to screw up! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
16. When ordering from JCW you:
a. Should plan your purchase far ahead of the project.
b. Count on them screwing the order up.
c. Don't order anything you need shpped overnight, or next day.
17. Heck every once in a while they surprise me and don't screw up.
18. Then I pay "full" price... [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
19. Oh well, I keep going back. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

But remember, this is business... give 'em hell!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2002, 11:26 AM
Pooh-Bah

When I ordered them they told me it would take two to three weeks since they were coming from the manufcaturer, and I had them in three days.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2002, 11:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I ordered a bunch of stuff fron JC Whitney A while back. Over $700 worth at one time. This included a lift kit, shackle reversal, shackles and some other small items. my grand total shipping for all was $22 [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Nobody else will will even ship a lift kit for less than $50 not to mention all of the other stuff.
But,
The shipment arived one piece at a time. the first piece was received in about 12 days and i got another box about every day. I only got one spring at a time and they are shipped direct from mfg; that is once the ups driver quit delivering them to my cousins house. We have the same last name and first inital. He also has been ordering jeep stuff so the driver did not bother to look at the address and just saw the name. no big deal to me, we got the driver straightened out.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2003, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Hey, 6:39pm 1/2/03 and my springs finally showed up. At least JC Whitney refunded me part of my shipping costs.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2003, 07:55 PM

I like their low shipping charges for Canadian orders. They ship to us parcel post, and this saves me a bundle. Not just the shipping itself is cheaper, but even more important, our post office only charges $5.00 for handling the taxes involved. If you ship UPS or FEDEX, the "brokerage" fee is outrageous.

They have some wacky products in their catalogue, but they also have brand name stuff. I found I can call them and ask for the manufacturor of a part listed and they will quote it on the phone. Yes, they are slow, but if you know that ahead of time and can live with it, then go for it if they have the best price. Once you buy from them, they will send out catalogues with coupons from time to time that really sweeten the deal.

Ever been to Warshowsky's in Chicago? I believe they are the same company.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2003, 08:02 PM
Can't Get Enough

I ordered an EGR valve from them on 12/4/02. I received the confirmation email on 12/5/02, but I didn't hear anything or get anything from them until 12/27/02 when they finally charged my credit card. No email saying that it was shipped, just a charge. Hmmm....
I'm interested in seeing if and when I get my part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode