Comanche MJ 2wd to 4wd conversion question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 07:12 PM
FuriousGeorge

Comanche MJ 2wd to 4wd conversion question

Step brother gave me his 89 mj. Its a 2wd and i want to make it my 1st rock crawler.What tcase would bolt up to the 4.0? im going to leaf spring-over , any problems foreseen? any advice?
thanks Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 08:03 PM
Official Historian

Re: Comanche MJ 2wd to 4wd conversion question

There's an easier way to convert the front end than a leaf spring conversion. If you look under the front, the front axle that is there is just a tube without a differential. All you need to do for the front is swap in an XJ or MJ front axle and it's bolt on. As for the transfer case, I'm not sure what will have to be done. The easiest way would probably be to look on ebay for a tranny/transfer case auction and just swap them in.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2002, 07:44 AM

i did this exact swap by buying a rusted out xj cherokee with the same gear ratio as my mj. everything is a direct bolt on. the only thing i had to have done was to cut down my rear drive shaft. i also went from auto to standard at the same time. definately the easiest and most reliable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2002, 01:32 PM
FuriousGeorge

what kind of tcase and trans did u end up using?
is it left or right side pumpkin on front?
also, are the transfer case and transmission good 4 rockcrawling w/ 36x12.50 and 456gears?
thanks matt
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2002, 05:05 PM

my buddy dug has a kickin mj that started out life as a 2wd daily driver. Shoot him an e-mail at [email protected] He has a propane injected small block, sm465 and a fliped d300 in there though he's still running the d30/35 combo and 31's though some day it will be huge and on 1 tons.

BarrelRoll
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 07:44 AM

i used the tranny and case from the donor cherokee. it was an ax5 or 15, and a np231 case. i used everything from the cherokee. the trans and trans case, with shifter and linkage, the vacuum lines and harness, the computer, the entire front end including the brakes, locating arms, front drive shaft everything... i had the original drive shaft from the mj cut down for $30.. my mj was a long bed.. there is a chance that if you have the short bed the srear shaft from an xj may fit, but i,m not sur. i also added a 3 inch lift while i had everything apart.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 07:55 AM

An MJ rockcrawler, you're my hero. I'm using my parts MJ to do this swap on a friend's 2wd XJ as we speak. THe transfer case should do okay with 36" tires, but the tranny and axles are not going to hold up to rockcrawling. I'd suggest swapping in a new t-case/tranny combo if you're going to be crawling. Either an NV4500 or an SM465 would be a good swap, the 465 would be the better choice I think if you're not planning on doing a lot of highway with this thing. Bigger axles will be absolutely necessary, and I hope you're talking about the rear leaves, because the front end of those things flex so damn well! Hope this helps a little.

~Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode