CJ7 Semi-hot Starting Problem...any suggestions? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 07:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJ7 Semi-hot Starting Problem...any suggestions?

This problem deals with an '84 CJ7 with and original carter carb. It has been starting easily whether hot or cold, but in the last week, I've been having trouble starting when it cools (but still warm) after about 30 to 60 minutes. I think it's flooded though I don't smell gas. The only way I seem to be able to start, is by depressing the pedal to the floor, and let it grind away. Several attempts at this finally gets it sputtering to a rough start eventually smoothing out. When totally cold, the choke works fine, it starts fine, and the choke kicks out when hot like it should. As I said, this just started happening. Local weather has not been lower than 35F and days to 65F as our semi-mild Houston, TX. winter has not arrived yet. So, it's hard to think it's ambient temperature related. Any suggestions as to what's going on and what I need to do? Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2002, 07:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: CJ7 Semi-hot Starting Problem...any suggestio

I would start with a tune up if it hasnt had one in a while.Atleast try a new fuel filter, then plugs.I try to start with the easiest and least expensive.
1) fuel filter
2) carb cleaner
3) tune up
If that still doesn't fix it, it might be the coil breaking down and not giving enough spark to the plugs.I think this shows up more when the coil is hot (warm).
just a thought
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2002, 07:27 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Since you have to open the throttle wide open to get it to start maybe your choke is cooling enough to close again. Have you looked at it before you try and start it in this condition? Normally I'd say that you've got some internal leakage type situation ...but why not start with the easy stuff? It could only be a simple adjustment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2002, 07:30 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: CJ7 Semi-hot Starting Problem...any suggestions?

There was an old AMC TSB on removing the "vapor door" from the air cleaner housing. It was suppose to cure hot soak. The same condition that you are describing. The vapor door is the inner vacuum operated device that shuts after you turn off the engine. The TSB states to completely remove the door and vacuum line and delay valve that attaches to it. I always just opened it permently with a long screw, and attach it to the lid.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 06:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. My own guess is it's a sticking float, but what do I know!! I think the Carb cleaner will be my first step.

Ron
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 06:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks. I'll check out the choke position in the morning. Do the '84 CJ7's with Carter carbs have what I think is called an electric "dashpot"(?) and that I think slightly sets the choke or throttle when the key is turned on? I know that some autos have this feature. If so, maybe it's screwing up.

Ron
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 07:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the advise. I'll check for the vapor door tommorow and see what that looks like.

This is my first jeep.I like the older CJ's, and looked for and found one that had no rust or dents, had good paint and interior, low mileage for it's age, and was original as much as possible. I bought it about a year ago and, though the engine was sound, I changed the valve cover to Aluminum, replaced the push rods, rocker arms, bridges, and pivots, oil pump, timing chain and gears. Also replaced the heater core and radiator. Enjoying the fun of just "Jeepin" around.

Ron

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 08:24 PM
Way Outta Control

1. The problem seems "repeatable", or
a. That you pretty much know when,
b. And under what circumstaces it will happen.
2. Drop back to basics.
3. You really don't know if it's electrical or fuel related.
4. Carry a spare plug and spark plug wire with you.
5. When this happens again,
6. Lift the hood and install the spare wire an plug.
7. Crank the engine.
8. See if you've got a good strong spark, or any spark.
9. Now you've narrowed down the problem.
10. Don't rule out that pesky ignition module....till you've done the above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode