O/T Volvo's Suck - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

O/T Volvo\'s Suck

Today I went to a local salvage yard in search of another York compressor. The one I had was model 209 and had the wrong clutch pulley on it. So the only York I find that is the correct on is in an older Volvo Wagon. Lets just say getting the compressor and bracket off was more than I had bargained for. I took the 4 bolts holding the compressor/bracket to the block and thought that was it. Come to find about 30 minutes later there was another bolt hidden that I couldn't see and didn't feel at first. Major PITA. Oh well.
What I learned was that Volvo's in themselves aren't too hard to mess with, sure beats messing with a Honda, Mitsubishi or other compact Japanese car. Sorry for the rant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 05:12 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: O/T Volvo\'s Suck

Try replacing an alternator on a Nissan 240SX. It's rear wheel drive and the engine sits front to back. That leaves ABSOLUTELY NO ROOM to put a wratchet, wrench, hand, molecule of air, etc...
First off, I had to pull the old one from under the car. It's located below the compressor and some other crap, so no hope of getting from the top. It was like playing PLINKO on The Price Is Right to get it out, or a really hard maze.
After I was able to fish the new one into place, my arm got stuck in the maze of stuff and I was stuck like that for a good 20 minutes.
I thought I was going to have to call 911 to get free.
These things were NOT built to be worked on by the average back yard mechanic.
I can't complain too much, that is the only thing, besides 2 injectors and a water pump, that needed replacing within 180K miles.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 08:28 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I went through the exact same problem with a Volvo [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I though I had them all out ...and there was one ...you had to fit the wrench between the compressor and either the block or the bracket ...??? anyway I rounded off the head of the bolt and only had 12pt wrenches with me ....so ...

.......I moved on to a horizontally mounted York on a Waggie!!! It too managed to baffle me for a few minutes but it came out in one piece.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 09:37 PM

Heh, there was a guy in out Uni parking lot working on his Honda Civic..

under tooled, no experiance.. trying to change the alternator..

I went up, offered to help, saw how the damn thing was setup (couldnt even see the alt) .. and told him it was too complicated for me, but if he went and got a Jeep, I'd do whatever he wanted.

Turns out he spent another good 3 hours out there, got 2 bolts off, then packed up and had it towed to a shop the next day.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 09:45 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

When I was in college, there weren't many gearheads that were willing to work on any car. Most of them had their preferences.

I on the other hand liked eating off-campus, so I started doing odd car repairs on the side. The worst job ever was on a Chevy Corsica. The guy (a VERY close friend of mine who now drives a Jeep! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) had this habit of hopping his car over curbs at road speed [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img].

Well he comes to me one day and hands me a bowtie shaped piece of rubber and proceeds to explain to me that he found it under his car and was wondering if it was important.

I took him to his car, opened the hood, and placed my hand on the manifold and shook his engine back and forth as it hit his firewall and radiator fairing.

Took my four hours to get the dang piece of rubber back in sitting next to the road. I charged him $60 and parts.

I got to see lots of weird stuff though...maybe another post. I know that Leve disapproves of us rambling types! [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Fritz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode