5 bolt hub options - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

5 bolt hub options

I just bought my 4:88's, and a lockright for my d30. I now hear that my hubs won't hold up with the locker. I guess the bolts will vibrate loose. A friend told me to buy the warn internal spline conversion kit ($270.00) This will blow my budget. I have also heard I can replace the bolts with grade 5 or 8 studs, use locktight and I may get by.
Questions:
1. Are the studs a good long term solution.
2. If I do put studs in, should I tap a bigger size?
3. When people say to upgrade to Warn hubs, Are Warn hubs the same 5 bolt design? (I assume these are different than the internal spline ones) Are the replacements better than stock?
4. Is just putting locktight on the existing 5 bolts going to work?

Im real curious what guys with the same setup as me have done.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 12:12 PM
Official Historian

Re: 5 bolt hub options

The studs don't break when tight. The problems happen when the nuts get loose. If you don't have to have lockout hubs, one solution is to switch to the 6 bolt hub and use the drive flanges used with the quadratrac. I had those until 2 years ago on my 79. The bolts never loosened. 2 years ago, I put lockout hubs on and I have to check them every few months or before/after a trip to make sure the bolts on the drivers side and nuts on studs on passenger side are still tight. (I haven't gotten around to changing the drivers side to studs yet.) Maybe a cheaper way to get internal hubs would be to swap dana 44 outers on. That would require new inner axle shafts though for the larger u-joint unless the early dana 44 closed knuckle outer shafts will work since they used the 260 size u-joint. Just some ideas.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 02:08 PM

Re: 5 bolt hub options

adding to what Will said...
you can swap wheel hubs and 6 bolt locking hubs from any disc brake NT D30 (1977-1981). These are cheap ($20-$40 used). These are stronger than the 5 bolt locking hubs currently on your Jeep. These will accept Warn Premium locking hubs when/if you break the OEs. I think the OE style wheel hubs (for 6 bolt locking) are about $50 ea new.
Advantage is better strength than what is currently on w/o breaking the budget
Disatvantage is the bolts can still work loose.

Replacing bolts can help but 5 bolt hubs are still not as strong.
Tapping to larger size could be problem because now the casting is thinner. Also, what Will said about bolts not breaking when tight. If you tap, be sure to use a press so the studs will be perpendicular.
The 5 bolt hubs on your WT axle were made by Warn. These are mostly the same "std hubs" you can buy today.
Warn only offers their "Premium" hubs in 6 bolt form. These are typically what people will 'upgrade' to.
Internal spline hubs are different breed.
Wether or not the 5 bolt locking hubs will hold up depends on tire size, engine size, driving habits, weight of right foot, etc etc etc.

IMHO - 100% worth time, effort and money to upgrade to 6 bolt locking hubs. Wether or not to convert to internal (Warn kit) is your call... but you kinda already said that would be out of budget.

I did the 6 bolt conversion to my WT D30 and never had problem. But I used 31" tires and open front diff... so not really apples to apples.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode