shackle reversal or not - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 11:49 PM
77rigid

shackle reversal or not

I want to know if a shackle reversal is money well spent or not.I see more jeeps with out it than I do with it.I was wondering if it makes that much difference.I don't want to spend my money on that when I could put it into something else for the jeep .I will be most likely driving this jeep on the road more than off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 12:07 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: shackle reversal or not

IMHO

1. For a strict street Jeep, yes; as it "improves" road handling.
2. To fit larger tires... perhaps, because of body triming and axle relocaton.
3. On a off road Jeep...
a. No, if you want to have the recoil force thrust back to the object hit.
b. Yes, if you don't care about the recoil force.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 07:38 AM
Official Historian

Don't get one that mounts the shackle below the frame. IMO it adds too much leverage to the frame. I put one on my 79 in 95. Within a year the frame cracked about 6" behind it. I would use one that puts the upper shackle bolt in the middle of the frame and keeps the rear of the spring close to where it is now not farther away from the frame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 08:20 AM

if you go off road very often, especially where there are rocks, i would stay away from the reversal. if the jeep never leaves the tar, they improve handling quite a bit. when you have the reversal and you contact an object with a front tire, there is no give as there would be with the shackle up front. that energy has to go somewhere. premature frame cracking is usually the result.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 08:32 AM
77rigid

It would rarely see a rock,but it would see lotsa mud and trail that don't have many rocks.I am looking at the "Full Traction" brand of shackle reversal.I hadn't heard about any frame cracks or even thought about that.All the ads just give you the hype on how well they make your jeep handle.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 08:49 AM
Way Outta Control

Yep, and that's one more reason why M.O.R.E. is maks money off of reinfocement plates for the frames...

Oh, yes, Buyer Beware... of course they'll hype thier product... it's better than sliced bread and clean underware. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they ever said a Shackle Reversal lead to advanced frame fatique. I'm sure if you asked them (the company) that they'd have a bizillion answers why the reversal kit would NEVER contribute to this problem.

You're right, it's hype.
Do you believe it?
Would you buy from a company that makes money lying to you? [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

I don't.... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 05:55 PM
Official Curmudgeon

If you have stock springs with no lift, you don't want shackle reversal. Because the springs are nearly flat already, the axle moves to the rear when the tire hits an object which is the desired reaction.

If you have spring lift, then there is a spring arch. When the front tire hits an object, the spring compresses which flattens it and the axle moves forward, so a shackle reversal corrects it.

So, nearly flat springs - no shackle reversal. Arched springs - shackle reversal might be good.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 07:32 PM
Old Hand

I've got a reversal I built and have stock springs. It drives like a car. Most of the mil cj's had shakle reversal from the factory.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 07:59 PM
Official Historian

I also had stock springs with the shackle reversal. It doesn't make sense as far as flat vs arch springs go but it did right MUCH better with it.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 08:36 PM
Enthusiast

You will sooner have a problem with the drive shaft being too short if you use a shackle reversal. This is because when it droops (with the reversal) the axle moves forward. With normal shackles the axle moves backwards while it droops. I have 5" SPOA on my cj-8 with no driveshaft mods and I have yet to have a problem. Well, at least with the drive shafts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode